The Reunion

*Abby's Point Of View*

My vision was blurry, the piece on cloth on my forehead was soaked in blood, and my ankle almost cried in pain with every step I took. Mike wasn't much better off, his hand was missing two fingers, he looked as if he was done with the world, and could barely stand and move forward. We were both bruised all over and, after the shock we experienced with the flammable barrels, exhausted beyond belief. Even so, Mike held on to my hand as we walked down the dark corridor to what we assume was the lodge.

When we saw the fire igniting, Mike immediately pushed me to safety, causing me to twist and hurt my weak ankle in the process. He jumped away at the last second and landed on top of me, shielding me from the explosion. There was a flash of light followed by an extremely loud noise that left my ears ringing, then nothing but silence. Mike's steady breathing comforted me and we lay there for a couple of seconds after the explosion, each taking comfort in the warmth of the other.

Mike stood up first and groaned in disbelief. I sat up and saw why, the gas lamp was nothing more than pieces of broken glass and shredded metal. I rummaged in my backpack for anything that could help light our way but came back empty handed. Mike looked around and sighed, offering me his good hand so I could stand up. I took it and pushed myself up, only to be stopped by a searing pain in my left ankle. It took everything I had not to scream and my grip on Mike's hand tightened, making him look at me worriedly.

"Are you okay? Does it hurt anywhere? Can you walk?" He frantically started asking questions and wouldn't let me respond.

"First of all, not too many questions, my brain can't take it," Mike's gaze instantly turned apologetic, making me regret ever opening my mouth, "I'm okay, my entire body hurts and I got a little dizzy just now, but I can walk just fine. It's just the blood loss." His body visibly relaxed at that and he gave me a small smile.

Mike has never been this protective over someone, or this gentle. Then again, we've never been in this kind of situation before. I knew that if I told him about my ankle he would want to carry me, and with his hand in that state and his exhaustion, that was the last thing I wanted him to do. I took a deep breath and stood on my own two feet, holding back the tears and screams of pain as my ankle protested. Mike didn't let go of my hand and started walking through the, now exploded, door and down the narrow, dark corridor. I followed as best as I could and clung to his arm a little for support.

"I saw a map back there earlier. It showed like a set of tunnels that ran underground, and there was one that led directly to the lodge from the sanatorium. This one must be it, if we just keep walking straight we'll get there eventually." I just mumbled an okay and followed him blindly.

We had been walking for what felt like an eternity, and the darkness was giving us no hints of the corridor ever ending. Sometimes it seemed as if the walls were closing in on me, as if the darkness had somehow become a physical form that was trying to suffocate me, and breathing became an impossible task. Mike would then squeeze my hand lightly, bringing me back to reality and allowing me to take deep, calming breaths.

The dizziness progressively got worse, and I really tried to ignore it, but it soon became impossible. My vision was extremely blurred and any attempts at faking normal died when I collapsed to the floor and I heard Mike frantically call my name. I felt myself being dragged somewhere, heard a far off voice reassuring me, and felt Mike's presence right there, but it wasn't enough anymore. The shadows had grown too strong, too menacing, and they were closing in on me. I tried to tell Mike to run, to go find the others, but I just couldn't speak. The walls were too close for comfort, and Mike's presence started to disappear, leaving me alone with my insanity.

Then everything cleared up and slowly came to focus. I was lying on my back in a dark room, Mike on top of me, saying something and resting my head on his lap. The walls were further away now, and there was a dim light on the ceiling. The blackness around my vision faded and my hearing slowly came back, I had fainted. I looked up at Mike and slowly sat up, his hand helping me keep steady.