Chapter Six

"It must be awful for you."

Anna looked up from her book to see Hermione frowning down at her. She raised her eyebrow as Hermione sat down across from her.

"You don't have to worry. Your secret is safe with me."

"How did you?" She paused.

"The newspaper clipping it must have fell from you book. I picked it up and.. Well I remembered reading an article on your mother. She was amazing. You look like her."

"No one's supposed to know."

"Don't worry I charmed the paper only you and I can see the real article now. I'll show you how later. I just came to tell you how sorry I am. If you ever need anything. I'll be there."

Anna stared at her for a moment, nodding slowly. When Hermione stood to leave Anna stopped her.

"Thank you. It means a lot to have a friend I can trust with who I really am. I can't remember the last time someone knew me."

"It must be awful. How do you keep that part of you?"

"I didn't.I lost it sometime ago."

"Anna? You wanna play?" Oliver asked over the crowd.

"The scrimmage?" She pushed her way over to him.

He nodded.

"Oliver, I'm not sure I should."

"C'Mon Anna. You're the only reason Flint wants to play us. You said you were better than a Slytherin." He pointed out.

"Fine." She sighed and followed him towards the locker rooms.

"Look Anna, Flint and his team are a right nasty bunch. We'll do everything we can to see to it you don't get hurt but I can promise you anything."

"It's okay, Oliver, I'm a big girl. I can take Marcus' temper tantrum." She joked.

Her feet sank down into the fresh, green grass. She sighed and pushed away her eventful day. Anna knew first hand just how ugly Flint could get and she was too angry with him to care. This game was a bad idea. She couldn't believe him. She didn't even want to look at him but her friends had no clue about what had happened. She was heartbroken and terribly angry. Still, Anna pushed off with her tiptoes and joined her team.

Anna glared at Marcus, her eyes stabbing into him like tiny daggers. At least, that's how it felt to him.  Before she knew it the Quaffle was in the air and Marcus had tucked it away under his arm. She barely seen him move, much less grab the damn thing. He was avoiding her as much as he could. He did everything he could to stay off the same end of the field as her.

Everything was tied up. Each team scored four times. Then Lucian Bole smirked at Anna. She was confused at first until she realized the bludger was coming towards him and he was aiming right at her. Anna tried to move but she wasn't fast enough. She braced for the impact but instead she was violently shoved aside. The hit caused her to lose her balance  but Fred quickly straightened her before she fell. Her savior on the other hand, was laying motionless on the pitch floor. Anna cried out.

"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" Pucey questioned.

"I came to check on him."

"Why gonna rat on Bole? He can't talk ya' know."

From the bed Anna heard something that vague sounded like piss off but it was too mumbled for her to be sure. She walked closer to the bed.

"Me?" She rested her finger tips light on her chest.

He shook his head and pointed to his team.

"Daff oody idot oo it me!"

"Uh.. That bloody idiot that hit you?" She asked.

He nodded and picked up a mirror laying on the night stand. Marcus studied his swollen jaw. It was purple and red, his lip busted open. When he brought the mirror closer he saw a difference in his teeth. He looked over to Madam Pomfrey. She gave him a small nod and quickly turned away. Marcus sat still for a moment, looking from Anna to his team. They seemed puzzled about the lack of interest in her being there. Marcus launched the mirror at Bole.

"Ucking iddiit." He grabbed his jaw in pain.

Anna quickly sat down beside him and place his ice bag on his jaw.  The team watch in disbelief while Marcus allowed Anna to sit next to him, holding the ice bag.

"What the hell, Flint? Did that hit knock something in your head loose too? You know she's a Gryfinndor right?" Draco joked.

Marcus only glared at them.

"If you have a problem with it why don't one of you come sit with him and hold it?" She shot.

The boys looked at one another then at Marcus, who shook his head. They called her a few names before leaving the two alone in the hospital wing. Marcus watched her in silence. The only sound was the ticking of a nearby clock. It was starting to get late but she showed no sign of leaving. 

"Visiting hours are over, Dear."

"But Madam." Anna objected.

Madam Pomfrey looked at the pair. For as long as she could remember never had the two houses been able to get along. And as long as she had dealt with Flint's potty mouth she'd never seen him allow a Gryffindor to come near him, much less touch him the way she was. With  a sigh she waved her hand.

"This better no come back to haunt me, Young lady. I'm sure you'll be long gone by morning. No misbehaving?" 

"Of course, Madam. I assure you. I only want a few moments to talk to him. Alone."

Pomfrey pointed her finger at Marcus.

"You keep to yourself, Flint." She warned. "Or that broke jaw's the less of your worries." Marcus glared at her.

Anna sat down on the edge of the bed and faced him. She didn't speak so Marcus nudge her. She glanced up from her lap and looked him in the eye.

"Why?"

" 'ad to."

"No, Marcus, you didn't have to. You could have been killed."

"Ou too." He whinced.

"I'm sorry, I know it hurts but I wanted to thank you." Anna leaned in slowly.

Her lips pressed gently on his cheek away from the bruises. Marcus didn't say a word when she stood up and left. He just frowned to himself and watched her go. She hadn't brought up that night. He was stunned she had even came.