By the look of it, the deputy seemed sincerely concerned for the red tom, and I could see them mutely speaking with each other.

The urge to find out about their discussion bubbled up inside me, but I contained myself and decided to spend the little time I had left with my friends who were not going to the Gathering.

I turned towards Sparrowdusk who was eyeing me suspiciously.

"What?" I asked, exaggerating my irritation a little bit more than I had intended.

"Why do you always have your eye on Flamestar?" Sparrowdusk hissed, the sadness ringing in his voice.

"I'm just worried about him..."

"It's like you and him... Have a 'thing'." Sparrowdusk grunted, rolling his eyes and puffing out his chest.

I laughed sarcastically. "Honestly, it's like comparing a kit with an elder. Flamestar has been leader since my kit-hood. Even before it. Plus, I think of him more as a fatherly figure since Sandpatch was never really there for me." I defended, my face serious as I stared at my mate.

I wasn't lying when I told him that. I was one hundred percent honest. I didn't want Sparrowdusk to have any doubt for the way I felt for him.

Sparrowdusk seemed to have settled down, for his face untwisted and his eyes turned to soft pools. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I can relate to the jealously." I murmured, meaning the times he tried to make me jealous by showing affection towards Deerpath.

He chuckled, flicking his tail. "I was just testing you. I really do love you, Cleardawn. Even if we never actually showed sympathy for one another."

I stared at him, my eyes glittering with respect for the the tom. "I believe you. Just don't go picking up theories when you don't know if they're true or not."

Sparrowdusk nodded in understanding, resting his tail along my spine and twitching his whiskers. "Have fun. Tell me everything when you come back, understand?"

I chuckled and dipped my head as if he was my leader.

He padded away, flashing me a sheepish grin in one last apology before disappearing into the rugged warriors den.

I noticed Flamestar was leaving from his conversation with Jumpingjay and heading up the Pointed Ledge.

It wasn't necessary for him to call his Clan to gather, for they were already expectantly waiting underneath him.

"The moon is to its highest peak so it is time to leave." He announced dryly. Before he could jump down from the recovering ledge, Fallenheart called out something that sparked my interest.

"Are you going to tell them about the captives?"

Flamestar paused and stared directly at me as if he were trying to tell me something. I twitched my tail tip nervously, and I could see his eyes were drained and cold. Lifeless...

"Yes."

***

Flamestar led the way outside of camp, trudging through the ridged forest. I stared in horror as I saw trees had fallen, plants had died, and prey lay burnt on the ground, dead.

I heard the exasperated gasp of Ashcloud as she padded beside Flamestar. "This is horrendous. The prey are all dead! The territory is destroyed! Oh StarClan, why now?"

Jumpingjay's head was bowed in sorrow for his territory, and I could see in his eyes the glimpse of defeat was as clear as day.

Flamestar, on the other hand, didn't say a word, and his expression was blank and undisturbed as he kept walking.