Chapter 28

Silence thickened the air as our stares were locked and wouldn't dare to budge even if we tried to force them apart, until a groan shattered the quietness that filled the atmosphere.

All eyes were suddenly landed on Flamestar, the blood that was seeping out of his chest had stopped, but the remains of flesh and dried blood were matted on the wound with large drops of red on the ground.

He was awake!

Flamestar glanced around, his eyes glazed and mystified as he examined the lurking cats.

Snowfall was about to slash out at him, but a flash of blue-gray flung onto her, spitting and hissing with rage.

My mother, startled by the sudden impact, tried to thrash free from the tom's grasp, but it was no use.

My eyes brightened when I recognized the familiar pelt as Jumpingjay. His usual calm and sweet blue eyes were now sorrowful and infuriated while his sleek fur was matted and bristling.

The uprising cats started to face toward the small tom, their eyes turning dark and wary. Sydney faced towards Jumpingjay, her tail beginning to rise.

I knew what was coming. The moment she flickered her tail, the mob of cats would swallow Jumpingjay into a blur of claws and tails.

My siblings were frozen in fear, and I knew I had to stop her.

Bunching up my muscles, crouching down with my fur flat, I watched intently for a split second before I leapt with all the force I could manage.

I flung myself at Sydney, my claws already sinking into her flesh as I stopped her from making the harmful flick of her tail that could easily skin Jumpingjay alive immediately.

Spitting and hissing, I lashed out at all the tender areas I could possibly manage, triumph washing over me like a wave as I noticed the thick ooze of blood drenching the white pelt of Sydney. I took multiple blows to the head, almost stumbling off my paws from the impact, but still managed to have a firm grip on the she-cat.

Sydney tussled me so I was on the ground, our claws clinging to each other's fur as we both battled to see who could rake the most fur and blood.

Sydney won. My mind became heavy, my eyes becoming a thick glaze as I blindly tried to be released from her.

I could feel the weird sensation of blood pooling out of me as she kept kicking her hind legs into my belly, knocking the air out of me so much that I thought I was going to die.

Her claws scoring my flesh like I was made of ash, her front paws whacking my head furiously, until all of a sudden the weight above me vanished.

I lay there, breathing heavily with blood soaking into the ground.

I glared at who my savior was, and I could see the familiar pelt of Sparrowdusk.

His muscles gleamed like the shining sun above as he viciously attacked Sydney, his white claws already stained.

His gray pelt was being splattered with dirt for at times he would miss her from her impressive dodging and kick the mud instead.

I watched in awe while Featherflight and Duststorm bounded towards me with a herd of cats behind them. "We managed to snap them out of their shock in a matter of time. Are you alright?" Featherflight acknowledged, helping me to my paws.

I shook my pelt, my eyes dazed as I gazed back at my savior.

Stormstrike rushed up to me with long strides, staring at me with a worried glance. "Are you alright?" He meowed softly.