Chapter 3. The Way Back

Today is Saturday and she doesn't need to go to school because it's a holiday. And fortunately again she only worked four hours from this morning, and she can go home during the day where the sky still bright. With the humming happy she was cleaning up her belongings in the locker room. She has worked part-time at the coffee shop almost three years, and she enjoys her job as a waiter this shop. Her salary was more than enough though her work is quite busy, and she often worked almost every day. So usually after she came home from school, she went straight to work here till night, then she would do the homework from the school and then she could sleep. And the next day just like that. She didn't complain, she enjoyed it even though Megumi often couldn't believe her.

Chihiro was cleaning up her apron and a uniform that she used to wear. She was going put the two objects into her bag when she heard someone seemed to call her. She nearly dropped the apron. Who is it? There is only herself in the dressing room. Chihiro tilted her head. She then shook her head in disbelief. She muttered to herself, "Just my imagination."

When she was about to leave home, her boss stopped her and give extra tip since she already worked overtime for a week. She thanked and immediately went home happily.

The distance from the coffee shop with Chihiro's home is not so far. She just needs to walk for ten minutes and she would arrive at her house. And after around twelves minutes. she was already up in front her house. She walked in and Chihiro opening the door with the key, and she found it empty as usual.

"I couldn't believe it's my lucky day today!" She murmured excited, taking off her shoes, and put it in a shoe rack beside the door her home. She put her bag in the dining table and she sat on a chair. She pulled out her cell phone, and then she read some messages that went into her cell phone while she was working earlier.

'Chihiro, I told you before that you must pick up when I call! Are you still working? Don't forget to eat and don't forget to do your homework! Don't forget your promise to visit me tomorrow!'

Chihiro read one message from Aunt Kaede, she is his father's big sister. She smiled while she read her message and she immediately reply it.

'Yes, I just got home from work. I'll eat later, and I'll do my homework soon, and maybe take a nap. I'll see you tomorrow, Aunt Kaede.'

She put her cell phone in front of her. She exhaled slowly. Her aunt always worried about her, Chihiro had to convince her that she's already sixteen years old and she could take care of herself. Chihiro was very grateful for her aunt's care since her parents died four years ago. Her aunt replaced her parents to take care of Chihiro and also paid for her school fee and her everyday needs. Aunt Kaede even insisted Chihiro stay with her and sell her parents' house when she's finished junior high school, but Chihiro refused it and she insisted on staying in this house which full of memories with her parents.

Chihiro then grabbed her bag and she went to her room. She opened her bedroom door, and she put her bag on the floor. She sat on a chair and in front of here there's a desk for her study and she was sitting there. She opened one of the top shelves at the desk, she was about to write her diary. A habit since she sat in elementary school until now. She pulled out her white covered diary, and she didn't realize she was dropped a purple hair tie.

Chihiro turned the page her diary. She's looking for a blank page for her to write her day. Her eyes suddenly caught the word 'amnesia' as she was turned the page and in an instant she stops the movement of her hand. She read her a little messy-handwriting because at that time she's still learning to write. She read word by word.

Today I just released from the hospital, and I went straight home with Aunt Kaede. I brought some flowers from my friends when I was in the hospital, even Megumi gave me a package full of a few sweets and chocolates! I will eat next week!