I continue to follow them unnoticed waiting for the perfect moment to strike. And then I get it as they sneakily walk in-between the Old lady’s herbal caravan, and luca’s liquor tent.

I hide behind the corner, Watching as they whisper. There surly up to something! I see them looking around all worried. And smile wickedly to myself.

I tip toe up to them, my bare toes sliding across the fine dirt of the ground silently.

Until I’m just around the corner from where there hiding. And then I Pop out from my spot screaming “bahhh!”

There terror is real and absolutely worth the disturbed Stairs I get form the passersby.

Timo has actually jumped behind his Little brother for protection.  And is the last of the two to recognize me.

I have to hold on to my knee’s I’m laughing so hard.

“Got you back!” I cry. “I told you I would! And now I have!  I may be a thief but I’m still a woman of my word! ” I joke with a wink. He doesn’t think it’s funny though.  that much is clear to see on his tan slightly dirty face as he scowles back at me humorlessly.

Timo steps out from behind his brother with a look of irritation. His hands find their way to his sides as he stands waiting for me angrily to stop laughing so he could scold me. 

“No fair cacia we didnt scare you that bad we demand a pay back.!” he says with a boldness that seems out of place in a boy so thin and small.  I stop laughing but keep a wry smile on my lips as i shake a finger at him. 

“ Oh no you little rat! You put a duck inside my tent I'd say i'm still owed a the very least another sneak attack!”

By the sound of our conversation you may note that the boys I’m speaking too are well under ten.

And you may suspect that I am as well. And you’d be wrong.

I’m nineteen as of two months ago, and have apparently yet to grow out of childish games.

Or so I’m told my aunt Eva. who says as much with pursed lips and a heavy sigh. 

the dear old lady has taken to looking after me ever since my mama died. She was the only one left to raise me, with my father gone so long before I was old enough to miss him. 

“watch your back cacia! We'll  be getting even when you least expect it too!”  Timo says with all the menace and fright of a baby kitten, with his little skinny fingers pointing eerily at me.

I smile and give him a wink. “We’ll see.” I say with a light little chuckle before leaving them to whatever mischief I had interrupted.

You see the difference between gypsies and common folk, is we encourage mischief in our young! We are by tradition and reputation, thieves and con-men.  though its not all we do its deffinately where we get our fame. 

This is the legacy we pass on to our children, we teach them to pick pocket and scam. And we have no shame in this! It is our right as the poor, as the frowned upon, the outcasts of society it is our only way to survive. To help ourselves any way we can.

We are strong! And we are sneaky! And I am proud to be a gypsy. And I can only wish I can carry on the legacy of my ancestors. And not in the way most women would!

I do not belong in the back of a caravan! I was not meant to serve a husband as is tradition in my family. I was born to make my way in the world, to work and bring honor to my family. 

But this is difficult. This is a sensitive subject between me and Dee. With whom I have a better relationship than most others in our little family.