-Chapter 1 > The Beginning

The Beginning

I step out my brother's 2010 mustang onto the grounds of my new school; I look around at the sea of strange faces turning to stare back at me.

"Wow! I might just be the first white person they have ever seen." I say to my brother as he pulls our bags out the back of his car.

Why does this matter? Usually it doesn't my whole life I have been surrounded by black, white, "mixed". And some of my family has even married other cultures. But here at this school I stood out unlike Chase with his caramel skin and low cut curly hair and his rare green eyes. I know his looks sound unusually but here where skin is the first thing they notice I am the one standing out.

"Come on Claire don't be like that it is our first day people are bound to stare at both of us." He walks over and throws his arm around my shoulders trying to comfort me even though I am his big sister. This being by only 15 months...I know, I know our mom was a slut. NOT! She just fell in love with Chase's dad after my loser of a sperm donor left her and he in turn fell in love with me even gave me his last name. "Let's find the office, get to class and get this day over with." Chase continues his way across the parking lot.

"Are you sure you don't just want to find the football coach?" I look up at him smiling. Oh did I fail to mention that I am only about 5'2 on a good day, Chase towers over me with his 6'4 height.

"Nah let's see if I like it here first." But as we are approaching the doors of the school two students step onto the path in front of us.

"Anderson!" One of them says to Chase.

"Yeah?" Chase stops to allow them to speak.

"Yea all-star game last year you knocked the hell out of me, had me limping for two weeks." He looks at me before looking back to Chase, "Are you transferring?" And once agan he looks back at me and gives me the once over stopping at my hips.

This is usual as well yeah I might be a white girl, but with my curves and blond hair as well as my green eyes a lighter shade than Chase's and as my Nana likes to say a "ass like a southern black girl raised on those collard greens" most men (black to be exact) tend to look twice just to see me walk by. Chase the over protective younger brother as usual throws his arm back around me and pulls me close.

"Is this your girl? What she couldn't let you leave her behind? Had to follow?" The other boy begin to laugh at this.

Sue me if I don't find anything funny about this.

"This is my sister and I haven't decided if I am going to play this year or not."

"Sure like you can go a year without football Chase." I say even though both boys are looking at Chase as if he said he was from mars. So I decide to help them out. "He's my half-brother and my name is Claire, but if you don't mind we were trying to find the office. Could you maybe close your mouths and show us the way or would you prefer to stand hear looking dumbstruck? Although now that I've noticed it is a good look on ya'll."

Never said i was shy was just a bit nervous but this was getting aggravating.

"Damn Claire could you at least get their names before you start to insult them." Chase says laughing. "She doesn't like people knowing that she's white..." Chase burst out laughing when I punch him in the side.

"It's not the white part I mind its the people looking at me like I have two heads because I have a black brother who just happens to be a asshole," but he was right "Sorry guys it's just this is a new school and all....so since you two will mostly be his team mates what are your names?"