Here Truth, Meet Light

Previous:

"Hm so, ya daddy didn't tell you why yo mama got locked up huh? Well, I'm not surprised though, it's a helluva story to."

Carol POV

"Damn, your parents are assholes!" I said angry as hell.

"Hey!" Hakeem shouted while Jamal lookin' like he agreen' wit me.

"What? There's obviously a lot ya'll wasn't told and apparently it's gon' be my job to let you know..." I said before getting cut off.

"Carol it ain't your story to tell!" Cookie yelled as she walked in.

"Somebody gotta tell them what happened to you and it should've been they damn daddy." I said as Cookie walked over to me.

"Well, it's my story about me, so I'm gon' be the one to tell it." She said sounding like the Cookie I've known all my life. I just nodded my head, I knew my big sister had this.

Cookie POV

After hearing what Carol was saying to my sons, all the anger I held toward Lucious came barreling up like vomit. I sacrificed my freedom knowing Lucious would make it big and would do right by me and my boys. Yet, I got divorced a few years in and all truth was withheld from those boys. I just couldn't.

"Ma, what truth is she talking about?" Jamal asked looking between me and Lucious.

"Baby, what I'm finding out is you never knew why I went in and I'm gon' clear that up for ya'll right now." I said as I cut my eyes to Lucious.

"Cookie I.." Lucious tried, but gave him that shut the hell up look he's used to.

"As I was about to say, there is a lot about our past that you don't know or heard partial stories about. Me and your father used sell drugs, then we began moving drugs for a 'upper on the food chain' dope dealer. We moved product all over the states with a few places in particular. New York, Phillie, Georgia to name a few." I took a breath before going on. "We went on a deal and it didn't feel right to me, but.." I said as I turned to stare at Lucious. "Your father said not to worry, he knew we could do it. He said we should meet these guys one more time and see if it still feels the same." I said staring Lucious down, knowing what I say next will kill him. Figuratively, but still it'll hurt. "I went to meet these guys that I didn't trust because Lucious was doing look out and apparently he wasn't looking hard enough because the car wasn't there when we came out the warehouse and about ten minutes passed before they yelled it was a bust. As I stood there lookin' fuh our car, I watched one of them shady guys get shot down next to me. I took the whole rap and even the murder charge. I later found out he was a Fed." I said as I backed up to a chair not to far behind me.

"Cookie, I'm sorry. So sorry." Lucious said as Jamal and Hakeem looked at each other.

I'm not sure how I feel about revealing this, but I assumed Lucious was at least truthful with the kids and told them what happened when they were old enough to understand.

"No wonder you divorced dad." Hakeem said like it was a matter of fact.

"Huh?", "Keem" Me and Lucious said simultaneously.

"I know dad messed up, but it could've been fixed. Still though..." Hakeem said sounding so brokenhearted.

"I didn't divorce your father, I stayed in there waiting for him to come see me. I knew his career took off, but I didn't think he'd forget me." I said as tears began to cloud my eyes and Lucious stood there looking guilty.

"But mom.." I wouldn't let Jamal finish that sentence, no matter what it was.

"No! I didn't and I wouldn't have. I see your father has been spinning more than just records and beats." I said reaching out for the papers Carol was handing me. "Oh look at that, right here in black and white: 2001/9/11 Lucious Lyon appying for dissolution of marriage to Cookie Lyon." I read to the room leaving no doubt that I was divorced in prison.

"Disso.." Hakeem got out before Jamal chimed in.

"Divorce! Dad divorced mom while she was in prison. Why didn't you tell us yourself? That damn man came to offer his condolences...I just believed everything." Jamal said with so much hurt in voice reflecting on his face.

"What man? Who you had 'round my babies, Lucious?" I thought I was mad before!

"Beretti, he thought it was a good career move. I was so messed up, Cookie. I was drunk for awhile. Cookie, I'm sorry." Lucious said looking so sincere. I think I believe him, but he don't need to know that. Not yet.

"You know Lucious... there was a point in time I would never doubt you, but 17 years teaches you some things." I said as I walked to the room I use to stay in when visiting.

Jamal POV

I remember how life was before my mom went in, dad was horrible and mom... she always had my back no matter what. It was a confusing time for me and mama always made sure I knew she was there and I never felt alone. Then she went in, my mama went in and left me with my dad. Lucious Lyon.

"So..let me get this straight. You were sad because mom got locked up. That's when you started drinking.. then Billy Beretti came talked you into divorcing our mother!" I said forcefully while I guestured between me and Hakeem.

"I was messed up, Jamal. He brought up the divorce while I was drunk and didn't know what I was agreeing to!" Dad said like he was ready to cry. How many times did my mama cry? How many days did she want somebody, anybody to come see her?

"Why we couldn't go see her? You didn't, why couldn't we go? Hakeem never even got a chance to know her! His own mama." I yelled at my dad while Hakeem was huddled up with Aunt Carol.

"Beretti!" My father growled.

A/N: Didn't read back over this chapter, but I will later. Promise.