The Rich

Tristan took the opportunity to entwine their fingers, not letting Belle escape from the inevitable. She opted not to argue but silently led him away from the district in town where people would recognise her.

As they moved into the richer parts of town, Tristan seemed to relax as he allowed himself to swaunter slightly. His calmness disappeared when a footman pushed them to the side. When he spat on Belle, she couldn't trust that Tristan was seeing sense.

She pulled him back from going after the footman, gently nudging him into the nearest tavern. For a dreadful moment it seemed as if he was about to refuse. When he stepped inside the doorway, she relaxed. Belle motioned for him to take a seat in the corner whilst she approached the bar.

The person behind the counter spotted her from a mile off as he reached up to the top shelf to pull off an empty glass. "Belle, you want the usual?"

"Two please," Belle replied. The bartender didn't bat an eyelid as he poured two out, sliding a piece of bread across the counter too.

"Your mother's," he explained. "It's only right."

"Take a glass down for it," Belle instructed, shaking her head as she took the drinks and bread off the counter.

"You up for singing?" he questioned. "I've got a lute player wanting to perform Queen Adriene."

"Queen Adriene?" Belle asked, pretending to shrug it off. They both knew she would agree to sing as Queen Adriene was a complex piece that few people wanted to play.

Belle had discovered the tavern by chance, though everyone knew she'd been singing since she was little. She had been destined to sing from birth with her mother singing all day long. The tavern was renowned for its music, and was the only place were the poor and rich could mingle regardless of class.

Players would often take to the stage, though only the talented ones were invited back. Those who didn't meet the standard would get thrown from the stage. Belle had been dragged up once by her father when her whole family had come to town many years ago. When she'd moved to the town to work in the palace, the bartender (who was also the tavern owner) had encouraged her to sing a few times.

Belle didn't mind. She loved bringing happiness to people through her voice and channeling the emotion in the only way she knew how. Rich patrons would often buy her drinks, which the bartender kept count of with empty glasses on the top shelf. Whenever she came in, he would grab her a drink and offer her a chance to sing. Belle always had a choice but they both knew he would always convince her.

"Half hour?" the bartender asked as Belle turned. She nodded, slipping through the crowds to get where Tristan had saved a place. The day had flown by so far and there was little doubt in her mind that it would continue to do so. Being out of the castle had made a nice change and given her a chance to spend time with Tristan.

Tristan stood up to take the drinks and place them down. They shared out the bread, watching the current player whilst they ate and drank their late lunch.

"How did you get this with no money?" Tristan questioned.

Belle shrugged, "I play here sometimes and people buy me drinks. The owner keeps count of how many I've had."

"You play here?" Tristan asked. "Even I've heard of this place, though I've never visited."

"Sometimes," Belle whispered. "I sing. My mother taught me and it allows me to cheer people up."

"I'd love to hear you," Tristan mused.

"You can," Belle interrupted. "I'm going up soon."

"You are?" Tristan questioned as Belle spotted the tavern owner beckoning her over. Belle rose, apologising to Tristan as she made her way towards the platform.

The lute player was already sitting on the stool. Belle thanked the owner as he brought her up a second chair, sitting down beside the lute player. "Hello, I haven't seen you around before." Belle greeted. "Queen Adriene? That's quite ambitious."

"Is it?" the lute player asked nervously.

"Your first time?" Belle questioned as he nodded slightly. "It's not too bad. Just focus on the lute and I'll sing the solo version. You can do the harmony if you want but don't worry if you're stuck on the fingering."

The owner introduced them, some of the regulars cheering for Belle. She smiled as the lute began, falling into the music. Her eyes met Tristan's and she was stuck there for the rest of the performance. Only when the final chords played out did she look out to the rest of the audience to find most with tears in their eyes at the sad ballet.

Belle stood up to curtesy to the audience and also to the lute player as the doors to the tavern were slammed open. An assortment of guards and knights appeared at the entrance, holding their weapons firmly in place. Robert spotted her first. He looked slightly apologetic as he motioned for four knights and her guards to move towards her.

Belle thanked the lute player with a small smile before glancing towards Tristan. He was halfway towards Robert though members of the crowd kept blocking his path. Belle froze when she felt one of the guards restrain her arms behind her back and one of the knights aim his sword at her throat.

She looked into his eyes, realising that he didn't want to be doing this either.

"Where is the Prince?" he demanded, pressing the tip of the blade against her throat.

"Remove the blade," the lute player ordered, stepping forwards. "She knows nothing."

The second guard was immediately upon him, striking his arm as a warning. Belle shrieked as she watched him falling to the floor, beginning to shake slightly.

"Stay out of this," the guard threatened the lute player. "You know nothing."

A commotion started behind them as the crowd began to bow towards one man. The knight turned his sword touching the skin of her neck as he did. It scratched her and blood began to gush out of her throat.

"Release the future queen!" Tristan ordered, glaring at the guard who was holding Belle. The guard dropped her suddenly, Belle stumbling to stay upright. She righted herself quickly, thankful that Tristan was by her side as she leant on him heavily.

The lute player had stumbled up by now. "Thank you," Tristan whispered, nodding his head towards him. "You played very well."

"Thank you, your highness." the boy stuttered, bowing again.

"Tristan," Belle whispered, bringing her hand to her neck. "I don't feel so good."

She fell to the ground, only saved by Tristan's quick reflexes. He swooped her into his arms, pulling her up and almost sprinting to find someone who could help her.