Chapter 16: Peeta

"SHE HAS FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING ABOUT OUR LOVE THAT I TREASURE SO MUCH." I cry to my mother, tears forming in my eyes.

"Peeta, they said it is only temporary."

"By temporary, it doesn't mean only a few hours. It could mean months. Many months! I'm not going to be able to last that long."

"Peeta, what about your daughters? You're going to have to be strong for them."

"Yeah; then cry myself to sleep each night. With her sleeping beside me without a clue as to what has happened in seven years."
We must be getting concerned looks from everyone who passes.
"My wife, has forgotten that I'm even her husband, that she even has two children plus had a miscarriage. That we defeated the rivalry together. The last thing she remembers is our first conversation of uncertainty."

All those ionic memories, blocked and hidden away in her brain.

"Mummy." I whimper, bursting into tears. My waterworks burst all at once.

"Come here, Peeta." she opens up her arms and I accept them.
I close my eyes tight.

"I... should've been there. I could've... stopped any of this from happening."

Katniss is just down the hall. Oblivious.

Oblivious to this conversation, our seven year duration of memories. Oblivious, and I don't want her to be in this state.

"Ssh. It will be okay, Peeta. She'll be better soon." My mother tries to reassure me, but I feel like it doesn't work.

I feel my hands shaking as I grasp onto her shoulders. Taking big gasps of air as I continue to sob into her shoulder.

"Please just tell me that this is all a big nightmare." I mumble. I know it isn't. It is obvious. The number of pinches to my arm confirms that.

"I have to go look after Dwyn and Leigh. I'll be back soon okay?" My mother strokes my hair and I nod.
"Okay." She whispers, kissing my head and pulling our embrace apart.

"Chin up. Stand strong." My mother states, tapping underneath my chin. I tilt my head up a little bit.

My mother gives me a sad smile before turning and walking down the hallway. I stand there, blocking everything but my thoughts out.

As she disappears, I sink to the floor, back against the wall. Right beside chairs.
My face squishes up before another wave of crying washes over me. I bury my head into the seat cushion.

Will I ever get her back?