Chapter 15 ~ Surprises

Start from the beginning

"But I could have done more."

"Is this why you've been so mopey lately? You're reliving the past?"

"I went to see Peggy, and things just started piling up from there."

"Steve, Peggy loves you. I love you; you're my best friend, and one of the greatest men I know. You need to stop second guessing yourself over circumstances you can't control."

"I know," Steve says as he sits back down on his bed and lets out a heavy sigh.

"Look, I know how you feel. Believe me I do; but beating yourself up about it isn't gonna make you feel any better." Bucky replies as he hands the velvety box back to his friend.

"What will?" Steve asks he places the box back into his pants pocket.

"A drink; and possibly a dance with a pretty girl. I happen to know one that would be happy to dance with you." Bucky smirks as he tosses the black button up shirt over his shoulder making Steve smirk. "Come on Steve, tonight's supposed to be a fun night. Let's not spend it dredging up the past."

"You're right, thanks Buck." Steve says smiling softly up at his friend.

"That's what I'm here for Rogers." He says as he turns and heading from Steve's room back to his starts getting ready. He had to admit the realization that the velvety box wasn't what he thought it was made his chest loosen. He sighs as he slips into his pants and pulling them up slips the hem of his borrowed black shirt into them. Buttoning them up he turns and walking back into the bathroom decides to leave his hair down. He combs it back with his fingers before turning and walking into the living room calls out, "Steve, com on. We're gonna be late!"

Steve's POV

"Steve come on, we're gonna be late!" He hears Bucky yell out from the other room and he takes a deep breath. Letting it out he stares at his reflection with melancholy eyes. He could see pre-serum Steve staring back at him his eyes filled with wonder and excitement. Steve wouldn't admit it out loud but he missed being the way he used to be. Not that he regretted getting the serum cause he didn't but he ccouldn't help imagining what things would have been like if he hadn't. Then realization sinks in and he comes back. If he hadn't have become Captain America the war with HYDRA most likely would have ended differently. Bucky would have died in that factory and he'd have never met Peggy.

His heart clenches at the thought of Peggy and what she was now going through. Dementia was a terrible way to go and it hurt him every time he thought about it. He hated the thought of Peggy being as fragile as she currently was. Of course she reminded him every time that she could still storm a HYDRA base with the best of them and he knew she was telling the truth. Nothing could keep her down. He looks over at his nightstand to see a picture of Peggy and smiles. His eyes veer to the right to see the picture (Name) had taken the day of her birthday with him and Buck.

He could feel his face blushing at the memory of it. (Name) was beautiful and even though she wouldn't admit it she was a softy. She had been through a lot of shit and had tried her hardest not to let it bring her down. Steve had learned even more about her in the last couple months. She had opened up to him during her physical therapy sessions with him and he was surprised that she could even still function after everything. She was strong. He remembered introducing her to Peggy and a smile crosses his lips as he remembers the two of them hitting it off.

"Steve, what's up?" Bucky calls as he pokes his head through Steve's bedroom doorway.

"Sorry, was just thinking about some stuff."

"Come on, I know you're pretty and believe me so does everyone else."

"Shut up," Steve jokes as he smirks at his friend.