Chapter 29- Hope for Hope

Start from the beginning

"But I'm okay!"

My mother pointed a finger at me, squinting. "You are in a strange city, very different from what you've grown up in yet you trusted a strange man and what's worse- you agreed and played along!"

Obviously, I wasn't thinking at the time. I was too occupied by wanting the house. Desperate situations call for desperate measures was what they say and I was in a desperate situation.

"Oh my goodness, Emerald. You're unbelievably too trusting and too naive."

"Okay, I'm sorry! It already happened, okay?! I'm just being honest with you."

"It... happened? You did... it?"

"Mom! That's not what I mean!" I've never reacted so quickly in my life. It would cause mom to go on a rampage once she misunderstood what I said. I let out a loud sigh but it did not relieve me at all.

"I wanted the house so badly. I felt the closest to dad once I entered his studio. No matter how strange his artwork were, I, somehow, understood them. Losing the house, the studio, I can't stomach that."

Just when I thought her anger subsided, mom's face soured some more. "So he threatened you?"

"K-kind of. At the time, I didn't have any choice. Remember? You don't want me to come here. I thought that keeping the house was the only way for me to stay here. If it's sold then I don't have much reason, do I?"

Her body language relaxed a little as she fixed her gaze at me. We were both silent, letting the pregnant pause sink in. I couldn't read her anymore. I'd let her down so much but she deserved to know the truth.

"And then what happened?" she asked me, causing my forehead to fold in confusion. "You accepted the deal... and then what happened?"

"... and then I..."

The lump in my throat stopped me from saying the very word that first stirred inexplicable sensation inside me, that had left me sleepless for many nights and made me smile like a fool as I put on a vacant stare.

I was so high up that it felt like a bitch falling down to the gutters, questioning myself what had gone wrong; where I went wrong when all I did was console him, understood his situation.

My breathing hitched as I back tracked to our conversation today- how he spat the Darlington last name with disgust. I then felt my mother's arms wrap around me, telling me to hush as I purse my lips, containing the impending sobs from slipping through my mouth.

"... you fell in love, didn't you?" my mother said in her cool and collected tone as if my falling for a stranger was expected and inevitable.

"I'm so sorry, Mom."

"Why are you apologizing?"

"Because I disappointed you and I'm dumb and I'm a mess and I..." I couldn't stop the tears welling from my eyes anymore.

"Yes, I am disappointed because you mindlessly dealt with a man you barely know. That is very dangerous, Em. Don't do something like that again. But don't apologize because you felt loved and fell in love. It's not a bad thing."

"But I..."

"But nothing. Look, Emerald. I'm saying this because I've been there and done that. This hurts for now but trust me, leave it to time healing and you will be good as new, okay? I'm here. Your Nana and my family are here for you. Know that our love will always be bigger than this person who made you cry, okay? So, don't cry, Emerald."

My mother wiped away the tears pouring from my eyes. The burden in my chest felt a thousand times lightweight and all the worries I had easily erased. She was right. Only a mother could forgive a daughter so easily, regardless of my shortcomings.

"You're young, Emerald. There are many guys out there for you who will not hurt you, who will treasure you like how I do, and will take care of you." My mother stroked my back; my tears completely dried as I stare into blank space. All I could hear was my mom's voice penetrating my soul. I wanted to believe that so genuinely but I couldn't accept the fact that Marcus and I weren't together anymore. Marcus had no idea as to what has been happening in my life- and I want to do it to clear up that misunderstanding and at least, get a clean break- a closure.

But how? How was I supposed to make him listen to me? To make him turn around and understand the situation we were in? That this was all a coincidence and misunderstanding.

"So, are you going to join us today?" my mother asked me and I gave her a shrug. Honestly, I didn't feel like celebrating. The fact that I had been living under the roof of the same company who had been trying to snatch Marcus's projects was nothing to celebrated about. It only made me feel gross inside. I'd rather rot here.

"Well, I was hoping that we can talk to your uncle together about your transfer here- maybe make some arrangement about his decision to transfer you to a school you obviously don't want to go to."

And an idea struck me so fast that I lifted my head up along with my hopes that my idea might just work.

That was it.

Uncle could help me.

*****

♪♫ Stockholm Syndrome♫♪