I don't mind waiting a few months longer.

The hidden meaning was obvious. Hadley was going to be giving birth in just a few months.

Hadley leaned back and stared at me, her eyes wide with unshed tears, her lips pressed together in a tight line. 

 "Seriously, Archer? Because I really can't - oh." She sucked in a breath, her voice faltering.

   I was immediately on high-alert, grasping her hands, forcing her to look at me. 

"Hadley? What is it? What's - "

 Her face was still drawn in an almost terrified expression, but she managed a small smile.

"You're smiling?" I said, shocked. "What're you - "

"It kicked."

"What? Who kicked you? I didn't see anybody kick you. You - "

 "Nobody kicked me. Well, not really, no."

"Then why did you - "

Hadley rolled her eyes and heaved an exasperated sigh, looking very fed up with me.

"Archer, the baby kicked."

"...Oh."

I just sat there for several moments, staring at Hadley, unsure of how to reply to that. I knew babies kicked. They grew in the womb every day, didn't they? 

Of course I knew that. So why was I so stunned? 

Maybe because this was this was my child and not just some picture of a fetus in a biology textbook?

Probably.

I managed a weak smile and tried to say something, but my words just came out like garbled mush.

Hadley leaned her forehead against mine, holding my hands tightly in hers.

 "I know," she said, her voice quiet. "Me, too."

"You're what?" I asked.

 "Scared."

I had to fight back a laugh. 

 "Scared? Scared? Hadley, I'm terrified."

 "Terrified? Why didn't you say something earlier?"

 The words fell out of my mouth before I even thought about what would happen if I actually said them. And as soon as I'd said them, it would've been a lie to take them back.

 "I'm afraid I'm going to end up like my father.”

 Hadley exhaled sharply, and I could hear her teeth clench together with an audible snap. I waited with baited breath for her to say something or get up and walk away, leave me sitting on the floor. Or to shout. Either one of those would work.

 "Don't you dare ever think that."

 "But - "

"No. You listen to me, Archer Morales." She gripped my chin in her hand, forcing me to look at her. "You are by far the most amazing man I have ever met. You're a jerk and you're unpleasant and you frustrate the hell out of me, but you're you. The only thing you share with that bastard rotting in jail right now is genetics, babe."

 "Hadley, I - " 

"And let me tell you something. I'm terrified, too. I'm scared out of my freaking mind. But if there's one thing I'm sure of? This baby is going to be beyond loved, by the both of us. This baby is going to love you, too, and you're going to be a great father. You may not see it right now, but you will."

 And then, as if to prove a point, she kissed me.

When she pulled away, I was fairly certain my eyes were crossed and my breathing was erratic. 

 Jesus. I really needed to stop smoking.

 "Capisce?" Hadley said, her eyes still narrowed in a furious glare at me.

 "Using my native tongue against me? That's cruel."

 She slapped my shoulder, sighing again. "Come on, Archer, I'm being serious here!"

 "So am I!" I exclaimed. "I just faced one of my fears!"

 Before Hadley could wipe the shocked look off her face and reply, there was a loud shout from the living room. 

 "Archer! Hadley! Are you going to join us anytime soon?!"

 I shifted Hadley off my lap and got to my feet, laced my fingers through hers, and pulled her through the kitchen back to the living room.

  That hadn't been so hard, had it?