Among other things. Those other things I tried not to think about so much, despite what repercussions I was going to have to deal with because of it.

Hadley had to practically drag me to the bedroom to pack clothes into our shared suitcase. This wasn't going to be a very long trip, four days at the latest, but I hated packing.

I was sitting on the bed, pulling on my shoes, almost done packing, when Hadley's phone rang. She reached over to grab it off the nightstand and answered.

"Hello? Oh, hey, June. Yeah, we're still coming. No, Archer's just being lazy and won't pack."

I scowled at her and she smirked and wiggled her fingers at me in response.

"Okay, we'll see you later."

She hung up the phone with my sister and tossed it into her bag, then turned to me, hands on hips.

"Ready to go?" she asked. 

"No."

Hadley sighed and sat down next to me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"I don't think it's going to be that bad," she told me, but even she couldn't keep the worry out of her voice. "What's the worse that could happen?"

"We'll be smothered to death with hugs and kisses, all the girls will beg to be the godmother, I'll be teased  to within an inch of my life, and then nobody will shut up about the baby for four days straight."

"Huh. Good point."

We both sit there on the bed for a few more moments, staring at the wall, lost in our own separate horrific thoughts about how breaking the baby news was going to go. 

Eventually we left the apartment, though, bags in hand, ready to face the inevitable. 

Hadley was practically hyperventilating by the time our cab pulled up to the curb outside Mama Rosa's. I didn't think I was doing any better. Unless my bad smoking habit had suddenly caused spastic shaking in my hands, I was just as nervous as she was. 

 "We've got this," I told Hadley as we headed down the alley to the back door. "It's not going to be anything to worry about."

"Right," Hadley said, nodding. "Totally fine."

We rounded the corner behind the coffee house and found Mom at the back of the silver SUV the family owned, packing in trays of food for Christmas dinner, bags on the ground.

She looked up and gave us a wide smile.

"Hey, you two, I - "

She stopped short when she took in the sight of Hadley standing there, looking...well, pregnant. There was no other word for it.