Chapter 2

*This has not been edited*

Greyson had seen a multitude of things in his life that- at least in mundane standards- would be classified as weird. Things that to someone who hadn't grown up with their unique culture surrounding them would find scary or unnatural. He himself was a Lycan, someone who could change his shape at will to that of his inner wolf. Being apart of the supernatural world did nothing to prepare himself for the scene he walked into at Joan's house. 

From the moment he laid eyes on her, He thought she was an angel. 

He could smell her all the way from the driveway, and the scent reminded him of the trips he used to take with his parents, as a kid, to the ocean. Widening his stride he had to contain his excitement and remind himself that he was here for his sister. David had sent him a frantic mind link and had not given much to go off of, other than to meet up with them at Joan's as fast as possible. Following to where the scents congregated, he had pushed the door open to reveal his eternity. 

Although this wasn't  the way he had planned on meeting his forever; what with her passing out after connecting her crystilline sky blue eyes with his. Immediatly, he found himself collecting the tiny body in his arms before she could hit the floor. Taking inventory over her injuries, a growl was building at what he saw. 

It looked as though she hadn't been properly fed for a long time. Bones were visible under her taunt, creamy white skin. Stroking her face, Greyson could not only feel how soft her skin was but see the dark purple rings under her eyes. His eyes honed in on a dried blood stain on her lower abdomen. His little angel had gone through hell, and the thought that he hadn't been there to protect her, was like a punch to his gut. Finally registering that his pack was standing around them just staring at the two of them, he slowly picked his mate up with a gentleness he had never known he possessed. 

"Joan, my mate needs your attencion. It looks as though she hasn't slept or been fed in a while, and there is a shallow cut on her stomach." Greyson set her down on the closest free bed and stared down at her peaceful face. "Did she say anything before she-, I mean what was she doing to make her pass out?" The gruff tone of his question jolted everyone into action as it seemed everyone had  something to say. 

"She said her name was Rae, but I don't think that's her real name." Joan said as she readied some IV's and got her stitch kit. Greyson had to clench his teeth together in order to keep from snapping at the women who implied his mate was a liar. He knew Joan didn't mean any harm. But If Rae did falsify her name then that must mean she had a reason to pick a new identity, and he wouldn't stop until she felt safe enough to be herself. David was the next to speak up, Kaycee was wrapped up in his arms drifting off to sleep. 

"Kay and I went out for patrol duty, about two clicks North from here, when these five guys ambushed us. The first two jumped me and I quickly took care of them, I don't think they were expecting me to put up much of a fight. The third pulled a gun that he didn't even know how to hold, while the other two were on me and Kay stepped in the way. The other three ran away as I carried her here, just praying I could run fast enough. They're cowards, all of them, but they seemed to just be hired muscle."  David tightened his hold on Kay as his eyes blackened. Now that he knew his mate was safe and sound, his wolf thirsted for revenge. Greyson also was ready to go after the guys who dared harmed his little sister and best friend, but the frail little angel tethered him to her side. 

Conner and Tristen, his two third-in-commands, quickly explained their side of the story. They had been out in the town when they had caught a strange scent and went to investigate. When they came upon the girl they claimed she was pleading with them to let her go, and to not tell someone. Greyson tensed up when they clarified that Rae had said "He". His fists clenched as he nodded for them to finish, but they seemed to have no more answers for him. When they were done, Greyson dismissed them to go run to retrieve the two corpses. David stood to join them but a small whimper from his mate persuaded him to settle back into the bed. 

When Joan was done stitching his little angel up left, the room settled into a peaceful silence. Greyson listened intently to the steady thump of Rae's heartbeat and how it sounded perfect combined with her soft breaths. Running a hand down his face he pondered the fact that in less than five hours, his quiet life had tuned on its side. There was an enemy coming onto his territory that he had to deal with, and not to mention the man his mate was running from. 

He gently tucked a stray hair behind her delicate ear. Knowing that this light had come into his life and would be there at the end of all the struggles and trials to come made it worth it. He studied his mate's features and noticed a slight ethereal quality to them, but maybe he was biased. 

"She will be good for you." Greyson had been so caught up in his mate he had forgotten his best friend and sister were in the room. David had been watching him and Greyson murmured his agreement.

"She's perfect, but will I be good enough for her?" It wasn't insecurity that had fueled his inquiry, but a dark secret that only his closest confidantes knew about. It was rhetorical, but David felt such sympathy for his closer than kin friend that he felt compelled to answer. For years, Greyson had carried his secret with no one to lean on, only recently had he opened up to Kaycee and David. 

"Greyson, you and I both know that is not your burden to bear. Don't let your past interfere with your future." David gestured to the small girl wrapped securely in his best friends arms and offered a congratulatory smile. Greyson's mouth set in a firm line, his heart thumped with the fear of his past hurting his chance with the woman who unconsciously clung to him. 

*Alpha, there is a slight issue.*

Greyson wanted to growl at Conner for the interruption in his serenity but held back with the knowledge that duty had called. 

*What is it?*

*The bodies, both of them- they're gone.*