17. Janey

Jaymi, Duke and I sat in the back of the dark black Rolls Royce as it travelled along the highway.
The drive would take about 2 hours, seeing as I was human and couldn't quickly run at the speed of light like the rest of them could.
Duke had agreed to the trip, obviously, but regrettably, of course, he wouldn't let me go without himself being present.
I was excited anyhow as I still got to do something productive on my end.

The drive was awkward, yet I kept conversations with Jaymi to distract myself from the close proximity of Duke beside me while I sat in between the two of them.
Another one of Jaymi's sneaky ideas.

"How much do you know about her?" I asked, as I faced Jaymi

She shrugged "I'd like to think quite a bit. When her brothers turned into master murderers, she wanted nothing to do with them. So she left, and began her own life across state. She's married now, and runs a small florist business with her husband Arnold" Jaymi described

"Sounds kind of beautiful" I mumbled, staring aimlessly out of the window besides Jaymi

"It is. Her garden is the most vibrant place I've ever been too. It always makes me happy" She smiled as she watched the passing objects out the window like I was

"Well, hopefully she can give us enough detail to put together a good idea as to what the brothers are planning"

"Hopefully" Jaymi smiled in agreement "But if she doesn't, at least we tried, we got out of the house too, and we might be lucky enough to see her garden, which will be worth it" She smiled, looking toward me.

The rest of the drive was pretty quiet.
We probably had about 6 more hours left until sundown which meant we probably only had about 4 hours of chatting time to gain as much information as we could.

I kept an eye on the passing signs and when we reached Swanhaven, I knew we were close. Ten minutes later, the car finally pulled up into a gravel driveway.
I stared out the window eagerly.
The home we were pulling up to was a small beautiful cottage. It was wonderful, surrounded by green shrubs and tree's, lined along the fences were hedges, probably the same height as I was.
It was tucked away and neat, and I kept my eyes firmly on the details as exited the car and headed towards the door.
At the front, lined along the wall, was a small patio. Beneath me were polished brown floorboards, and to the right sat a small white vintage table and two matching chairs.
It was quaint, perfect.

Jaymi stood in front of me, and Duke behind as we waited at the wooden door.
Jaymi knocked quietly with her tiny fist and my heart began to tremor nervously.

Seconds later a petite tall woman pulled it open. She had sandy blonde hair wrapped up into a tight bun. Her eyes were a deep green as she gazed over us.

"Jaymi? Hey, what are you doing here?" She asked, smiling. She was obviously surprised to see her, along with Duke and I behind.

"Hi Janey, we've just stopped by to ask you a few questions. These are my friends, Rosie, and Duke" Jaymi introduced, gesturing to us as we smiled.

"Nice to meet you both" She smiled in return as she held the door open for us to enter.

We were led through a narrow, yet breezy hallway and into a small lounge room.
It was cosy and unique, and most of the decorations and furniture were simple.
It appeared that the main color theme was a sea blue reminding us that the beach was only a few minutes away.
We were signalled to take a seat, snapping my head back to business.
The three of us sat on a long lounge in front of a window that led straight out into the front porch.