Chapter 2

Corrie, Kelly and i grabbed blankets, matches and smore making stuff before heading back out to the still empty beach.

night had fallen and true to her words, there was a full moon tonight. it hung high above our heads, its whiteness so bright yet bueatiful as it winked down on us.

Corrie set to work on making a fire, getting together all the wood and paper, forming them into a tepee shape.

Kelly laid out all the blankets, whille i orginized the mashmellows and sticks.

soon enough there was a blazing fire before us, its flames a mezemerizing orange and red as they danced and flickered.

Grabbing a stick and a marshmellow i held it above the fire, rotating it slowly as the heat began to roast the white object.

"I wish we never had to leave" kelly said quietly, her gaze fixed on the fire

the cool air nipped at my neck, i pulled my sweater closes to my body with one hand, i could see corrie doing the same thing.

" i agree"

"yea, me too" i murrmered, watching as a flame lit up my marshmellow. Quickly i pulled it out of the fire and blew on it, extiguishing the little flame.

"Were going to college soon, its going to be a whole new world" kelly countiued, her eyes now having a far away look to them

"we wont see each other every day. hell if we even see each other again" Corrie whispered.

Her words struck me hard as i realized that she was right. all my life i was with my two friends, we did everything together and the thought of not seeing them was horrible.

"Thats not going to happen" kelly declared loudly, breaking our silence. "were to close of friends to, well, not be friends anymore! i say screw distence" she flashed us a stunning smile.

Smilling back at my optimistic friend i nodded in agreement before placing my roasted marshmellow into a nest of gramn cracker and hersys chocolate.

i took a bite, its sugary contents rushing to my head instantly.

"this is heavan" i moaned quietly, earning a few laughs from my friends.

and it was, this whole scene before me. This would be the last time i saw my two childhood friends before we packed up and went out seprate ways for the season.

i watched quietly as my friends struck us a light hearted converstion, joking around playfully as they threw food at each other and then talked about boys.

They both had it good, parents that loved them and supported them, schools reletivly close to each other.. ext.

i on the other hand was the odd one out, and sometimes it got to me.  my parents were never there for me, ive never had a boyfriend, and there my only friends and well, im moving to san francisco in a week whille they stay here in floridia.

i was going to be completly alone, they at least were in driving distence.

"Hey, earth to ariel" kelly waved a perfectly manicured hand in front of my face, waking me from my thoughts.

"Sorry" i gave them a small smile, hoping that they couldnt see the tears that had begun to pool up in my eyes.

Corrie flicked me lightly and turned back to her converstion with kelly. After a few attempts at joining their converstion i realized i was no longer in the "happy, lets talk about life" mood.

Getting up from my blanket i left the fire, and my friends, and headed towards the water.

The blue water was now dark expect from the bit of light that hung above us all. Its waves crashed lightly at my feet, as i stared out at it.

the water glisestend and shimmered under the moon light, tilting my head back i smelled the salty air.

The medium sized waves countiued to roll, they tumbled through the ocean, spraying water as they glided along.

slipping out of my sandles i diped one pink polished toe in,testing the water.

it was warm, way warming then the air.

This time i placed both of my feet in, rolling up my jeans so that they wouldnt get wet. i stood like this for awhile, taking in the oceon as it countiued to move around lively before me.

it called to me. i could feel my heart being tugged towards the rolling waves. The dark blue water beconked me, taunting me playfully to come out

Slowly i pulled off my sweater and jeans, standing there in only my bra and underwear before, with brief hesitation, i ripped them off.

i didnt care about corrie or kelly seeing me, they've see it all before.

i wadded into the waves, loving the feel of the water as it touched my skin, warming my insdies.

This felt like home. i had this feeling of belonging and acceptness as soon as i entered the surf and i never wanted to leave.

The high moon above me suddednly became more pronounced and my thoughts drifted back to earlier today.

during a full moon magical things happen

at the time it all seemed so very folklore and just a silly superstion. but standing here in the confoting waves i thought to myself, maybe, just maybe they wernt totatlly wrong.

the full moon smiled down at me, as if encouraging me to countiue, to go farther in. slowly i obeyed, walking into the surf as easily as if i was on land, the heated water tickleing my hot skin.

thats when everything went wrong.

A large wave rose from the water and towered over me, and for the first time i was scared of the ocean.

Letting out a fearful cry i fell back into the water, the force of the wave knocking me off my feet.

quickly i swished my legs, propeling myself upwards and towards the surface. Breaking through the water i gasped for air, coughing heavily.

"Ariel!" "Ariel!" i could hear my bestfriends screams as i was  struck by another wave, it tugged me back into the oceans clutches.

once again i couldnt breathe, and i sturggled to hodl onto the air that i had left. kicking my feet i tried rising to the surface again only to be knocked to the side by a powerful current.

finally i came to the surface, my whole body felt weakend.

"Corrie! Kelly! help!" i yelled, my throat was stringing.

i could see my bestfriends running down to the water, their eye wide and frantic as they jumped into the ocean. They had seen me, they were coming for me.

my hope and relief was short lived because just as they got close i was swept under again, and rolled around, being pulled farther and farther out of their reach.

my weakend body didnt even try to fight and i realized then and there that i was going to die.

the water tugged at me, pulling me deeping into the oceans arms. i was completly submerged, and with no hope i felt helpless.

it was dark and my eyes fought to stay open. The air that i clung to was slowly leaving, excsaping from my mouth. soon enough it was completly gone, and i was to deep into the water to attempt another try at rising.

i let the currest bring me down as my wided eyes slowly began to close.

I guess this was it. i wouldnt be going to college after all, i truely was forever attacted to that little town, i was never going to see the world or find a boyfriend and get maried.

this was my short life of 18 years, it was ending way to soon.

what about kelly and corrie? they'll be fine. they have eachother.

slowly darkness decended upon me and a smille played at my lips, it was over.