Through His Eyes [28]

Start from the beginning

So she went to school on Monday with those reassuring words in mind, just to spend the entire day on the edge of her seat, waiting for Caleb to make a move—a move that just didn't come.

He was the same as he'd been before Friday night. Playful words, casual touches, soft smiles... and nothing more.

She was confused, and even more so when this went on for the entire week.

On Friday, they went out to Patty's for burgers and milkshakes with Wade and Willa and even there, when it felt like they were on a double date more than anything, there was still that invisible line between them—a line that could be crossed easily by Caleb with the smallest of leaps.

She was sure he would finally take that leap when he offered to drop her off at her house after Patty's and walked her to her door—even surer when he casually asked if she had any plans on Sunday, which just so happened to be Valentine's Day.

However, when she gave her answer that no, she didn't currently have any plans for Sunday, he just smiled softly and gave her a peck on the cheek and bid her goodnight.

When she made it to Sunday evening without any development on the Caleb front, she decided it was time to throw herself a pity party. She threw on a pair of gray sweatpants and a white T-shirt, prepared an unhealthy amount of snacks and began to get ready to settle down on the living room couch to marathon romance movies.

A moment later, her parents entered the living room, looking crisp in formal wear. Her mother was in a black, long sleeved dress and heels and her father looked handsome as ever in a black suit. They were going out to dinner to celebrate Valentine's Day, which didn't help her mood in no way whatsoever.

"You sure you don't want to come out with us sweetheart?" her mother asked, as she fixed the silver necklace around her neck, giving her a soft, yet worried look as she did.

"And what"—she scoffed—"crash my parents' Valentine's Day dinner? I'd like to think I'm not that pathetic."

"O-kay," her father said, clapping his hands together. "This feels to me like a hot chocolate emergency."

With those words, he swiftly turned around and walked into the kitchen, taking cups out of the overhead cabinets, filling them with water and placing them in the microwave. As the water heated, he rummaged in yet another cabinet for marshmallows, coming out successful in his quest a moment later. Rhea trudged in moments afterwards and sat down on the kitchen counter as she continued to watch her father make the hot chocolates like she'd had a hundred times over. Her mother took her heels off and silently made her way upstairs, knowing the hot chocolate was some sort of sacred routine between the father and daughter. Rhea loved her all the more for it.

After only a few minutes, her father slid a steaming mug full of hot chocolate and mini marshmallows towards her and watched her carefully until she took a tentative sip.

"There you go," he said, giving her a grin that made him look a lot younger. "There's nothing a cup of hot chocolate can't fix."

When he reached for his own cup, she asked, "You sure you want to drink that now? You'll be too full to eat later."

He gave her a soft smile. "I'll always have room for hot chocolate."

She smiled at his words and the meaning behind them. Once again, her chest was filled with warmth at knowing her family always had her back. "Remember when I used to have nightmares because of that Harry Potter movie and you used to make me hot chocolate?"

"Of course," he said, "those are my favorite memories from your childhood. I know that you and your mother have always been closer, it's inevitable really, the bond between two women. But I loved that you chose to entrust those moments in me, that you trusted me to comfort you."