Chapter 18 - Redemption

Start from the beginning

"Joseph!" The church chorused.

"now Joseph was sold as a slave by his brothers and even if Joseph was dutiful  and faithful  he was thrown into prison in Egypt. He was a committed slave, who won the heart of his master but it wasn't just the heart of the master,  he also won the heart of the masters wife." the congregation  laughed at his statement.
"But let me tell you something! If Joseph wasn't thrown into prison, he wouldn't have met the cup bearer and the cook, he wouldn't have interpreted their dreams and guess what? he wouldn't have become the Prime Minister of Egypt later on and he wouldn't have saved nations during the great famine. I am sure that when Joseph was sold and when he was imprisoned,  he must have wondered what the plan of God was for him."

"hmm!" the congregation hummed in agreement.

"I know there is someone here who is angry with God,  you feel he has let you down, you think his plan has ruined you. You believe there is no hope or there is no God but let me tell you something! His plans for you is to prosper you and not to harm you If you are that person here I want to tell you that you can reconcile with God and God loves you"

"yes!" the congregation chorused and I couldn't help but nod my head.

"John 3:16- For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. That whosoever believe in him shall not perish but have eternal life. If God could sacrifice his son for you thousands of years ago then be rest assured that he will do anything for you." The pastor paused and scanned the congregation "Is there someone here that needs that eternal life?"

I was torn on the inside. It all finally made sense to me and I was in pain.  Pain because I blaimed God for my dad's  accident when in fact I should have been praying for him.

"If you want to reconcile with God today can you kindly walk out here to the front. Jesus wants to encounter you today. Common!  Walk out boldly and receive  the gift of his salvation."  the pastor said as the choir led a solemn song that caused goosebumps  on my skin.

I was heart broken for my ignorance and for all the bitter accusations I had made at God. Tears clouded my eyes and without clearing them I carefully made my way out, walking slowly till I got to the altar.

"yes! Heaven is rejoicing  for you" the pastor said aloud while the church clapped on to encourage me and others who joined me in the front.

I shut my eyes as the pastor led us through a personal confession. The rest of the service was a haze!  The interview we had after the service rushed by quickly. I found my way to the car where Kunbi's parents and Kunbi stood waiting for me. 
As I approached, Kunbi's mum hurried to meet me and pulled me into a big hug.

"sweetheart I am so proud of you." I nodded my head against the soft cotton gown she was wearing.

"okay let's get going and I owe you a big bucket of ice cream" she added as she pulled away from the hug.

We got into the car with me perched at the back sit with Kunbi. I was quiet all through the ride home, using the silence as an opportunity  to sort out my heart for God.  All the hatred and anger I had, had dissolved and was replaced with a wonderful feeling of wholeness. 

Kunbi tenderly wrapped my left hand in his right and offered a warm smile before he looked back out the window with his hand still over mine. It was as if he knew I wanted to be quiet and I needed time to sort Myself. I was grateful for the fact that he understood  me perfectly well.

Immediately  we arrived home I skipped lunch and just went straight to the guest room  where I was staying.
Crumbling on the bed  I closed my eyes and imagined Jesus welcoming me into his arms and whispering promises to me that he will never leave me.

I turned on my back and looked up at the ceiling.

"Lord,  thank you for this new gift of salvation which you have given me.  Thank you for this peace and joy I have received. I am new to this Lord but I need your help.  Help my faith,  help me to trust you always  and trust your plans for my life.  Help dad too God and please give us our very own miracle."

I recited Jeremiah 29:11 again and went ahead to highlight it in my new Bible.

"Hey, you got time" Kunbi asked from the door way. 

I sat up briefly to look at him, he was still in his Sunday outfit- a black solid suit pant, a black Ralph Lauren dress shirt and a brown Italian leather shoe.

"yeah! come in"

he walked briskly towards me holding  his I-pod "I don't mean to disturb you but i have something i would like you to listen to"

"Okay?" I stretched my right hand and he handed the I pod to me with his beats headphone.

"Its a song- 'my heart is overwhelmed' by Hillsong.  You don't have to like it, but i always listen to the song when i need to remember what God has done for me. The song kinda reconnects me to God so, i thought you might  like it.

i smiled at him before plugging on the headphones "thank you Kay."

"please don't thank me.. i will just leave you to yourself now" he said and backed out of the room.

I returned to my position on the bed and touched play. Soon, the melodious song filled my ears and my mind as the wordings of the song sunk deep into me.

A smile crept to my face and I realized it was my first genuine smile since the accident.

Maybe things were going  to change after all, but for the best and not the worst I presumed.

Thank you for reading.  I attached the song above, please check it out. I am sure you will enjoy it. Please Like and comment.

-Unini