Chp. 22: Explanations

Spot's Pov

I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a note. I picked it up, and unfolded it. It read:

I'm coming. -J.L.

I run a hand through my messed up hair, and crumple up the note. I stick it in the pocket of my pants, and instruct the boys to bury Geo. Walking back to my room, I take out the note, and read it again.

Still awake, Kenny is sitting upright in my bed.

"What was that all about?"

"Geo was killed," I say.

"What?!"

Kenny's Pov

"John Luciano killed 'im,"

"Who is that guy?" She says, frustrated.

"Ya really wanna know?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, okay, fine. I's not been completely honest with ya," Spot starts. "I'll just say this first: John Luciano is my fadda',"

"I thought ya parents was dead,"

"Me mudda is," He says. "My fadda', howeva', is not."

"Oh. Why is he after you?"

"He wants ta kill me,"

"What?!"

"When I was foist born, I was already unwanted. I was the sixth child in a poor family. My fadda' already wasn't happy with my bruddas' and sistas'. One night, when they all was sleepin', he set our house on fire. My mudda and siblings were all killed. I, howeva', was in tha hospital."

"You was?"

"Yeah. I had lots a problems when I was born. That's why I costed so much, and my fadda was fed up. Once the hospital knew about my fadda's work, they sent me away where he wouldn't find me. Here, Brooklyn. Grew up here. Eva' since, he's been on the run ta find me,"

"Why's he called John Luciano?"

"He went unda' that alias when he was wanted by tha bulls," Spot says.

"So his name is John Colon?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, everyone knows Spot Conlon. He could easily ask to find ya, and everyone would say that you's in Brooklyn." I say.

"They could, but he don't know I's his son. Last time he came afta 'Spot Conlon', he was convinced that our last names was a coincidence, and that his son was dead. He ain't stop lookin' though,"

"So no one knows you's his son?"

"Except those closest to me, and now, you. Bucky knows, and Fetch too. Ollie only knows to inform me because I told all the messengas' if John Luciano comes to town, to inform me." He says.

"Wow," I say. "Your life has been hard,"

"It ain't been easy, but I's fine, ain't I?"

"Yeah, I guess ya are,"

"Ta make sure you's fine, too, don't wanda' around at night for now. Stay over here with me, and if he gets closa', I'll have to put ya back in 'Hattan."

"Kickin' me out so soon?" I smirk.

"Makin' sure you's safe," He corrects me. "I don't know what he knows, and if he knows 'bout ya, I ain't lettin' ya get hurt,"

"I can handle me-self,"

"I know ya can, but I ain't takin' any chances,"

"Well, how about wanderin' around durin' tha day?" I ask.

"Huh?"

"I need to get back ta Jackie," I say. "He'll be missin' me, anyways."

"Yeah, sure, go."

"I'll see ya lata', alright?"

"Alright." He leans down to quickly kiss my lips. I smile, and run off the dock.

"About time I heard from ya," Skiddy says, hugging me. "Last I heard, you was off with Vandabilt,"

"Me uncle, yes," I say. "It was awful, they taught us English, and we wore nice clothes,"

"Sounds like hell," He says sarcastically. "You had somethin' ta eat, how awful,"

I just laugh. "They gave us money for food, that's all we let them give,"

"You can buy me lunch, then?"

"Maybe some otha' time," I say. "I gotta get back ta 'Hattan before dark, or Spot'll kill me,"

"I heard about tha criminal that's afta' him," Skid says. "Nasty business, that man,"

"Yeah, well, I should go then. See ya, Skid."

"Lata', Kenna."

I walk back to Manhattan to see Race buzzing about.

"Bank robbery, extra, extra!"

"Luciano strikes again!" Jack yells.

"What?!" I snatch the paper from him and look it over.

"Hey, Kenny, those are for the people!"

"Oh my," I read the article, which says the infamous Luciano is in the area. All I can think about is Spot. I bet he knows by now, papers are peddling everywhere.

I wish I could be with him.

<><><>

when youre the target of a murderer cus same