14 | banana split

Start from the beginning

That wasn't a lie; I didn't know. It really was complicated. I didn't think Wyatt was even capable of swooning until our spontaneous curry-delivery-slash-night-driving adventure. By the end, after everyone got their naan and chutney, we were so tired that we just pulled into the Peshwari Palace parking lot and curled up in the front seat, my head on his shoulder, his head on top of mine, hands touching just enough for it to be noticeable. I must have fallen asleep, because, next thing I knew, Wyatt was touching my shoulder.

"January." He was whispering. "January. Hey."

His voice was so soft, I thought I was dreaming. "Wyatt."

I couldn't really see him well. My eyelids were heavy, and it was dark, the kind of dark that just feels darker, because you know it's so late, and you're so tired. My head had fallen forward, slightly, so my cheek was resting against his black T-shirt.

"You fell asleep."

"I did?"

"Uh," he breathed in, and I could feel his chest retract, "yeah. You were snoring."

"Mm. Sorry."

"S'fine."

Wyatt was mumbling too, but he was at least upright, and he had sounded awake, mostly. He was just a mumbler by nature. "We're at your house," he added softly.

"Huh?"

"Your house. I drove here. You have to go home."

I remembered closing my eyes again, tilting my head so my forehead rested against the crook of his neck. He took a sharp breath. I might have squeezed his hand, or I might have just laced my fingers with his. "But I'm so comfortable."

"You have to get up."

"But –"

"January. Time to go."

"I don't want to," I whispered. My mouth was so tired that everything came out as either a mumble or a whisper.

"I know."

"Wyatt?"

"Yeah?"

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Uh," I felt his head move. He must have been looking at the clock, or maybe, my front door, "actually, you'll see me today. At work."

"Today?"

"Uh, yeah. Today."

"Mm. Okay."

"Okay."

"See you today, Wyatt."

It sounded like he was smiling. "See you today, January."

The next time I saw him, he unlocking the door to Franny's, with Rosa leaning against the window beside him, chatting. When she saw me, she smiled. "January! Hi!"

I waved, then yawned. "Hey."

Wyatt didn't even look up. "Hey."

He finally finished struggling with the key and yanked the door open. Rosa followed him inside, flipping the sign, and I pretended like I wasn't blushing, desperately trying to make eye contact. He pretended like he didn't notice.

That's when I told them I'd be in the back room. And, a little while later, that's when Rosa followed me.

"Well, do you wanna talk about it?"

She was looking at me, and I was still clutching the bowl to my chest. "You don't have to," she added, "but you can. If you want. We could talk entirely in hypotheticals, if that makes it easier."