Chapter 4: The Third Time

Start from the beginning

“Is that bad? I mean, a guy who wants to see a beautiful girl again?” he hesitated. ”I thought it would be interesting.”

Kate didn’t answer as they kept walking. She was trying to look chilled out, but surprisingly David’s presence made her nervous. I felt the butterflies inside her fluttering. David, on the other side, didn’t seem itchy at all, although he couldn’t explain his spontaneous behavior or his crazy desire to be with her. They were both in love with each other, but how long would it take for them to realize it?

They kept walking silently until he paused two blocks before where we were supposed to turn in different directions.

“Um… I’ll leave you there. Forgive me, but I just remembered that I had to do something. Besides, I don’t want to bother you.” he grinned.

  “No, you don’t.” Kate replied quickly. She was always nice to everyone but this time she didn’t say that just to be kind. “Am I going to meet you, soon?”

“Well, I haven’t planned anything yet. What do you think? Should I?”

“It’s up to you.”

“It’s up to you, too. Do you want me to?” he sighed.

Kate was lost staring at his hair. It was looking golden in the noon sun, lightly flapping in the wind. “Um… I… I don’t know.” she finally muttered.

“Then I‘ll meet you outside the café where we first crushed. Tomorrow, at five in the afternoon.”

“I think I’ll be there.”

“You think?”

“I will be there.” Kate assured him.

I was quite close to them, although I had slowed down a lot, so I thought that I should leave them. I had heard a lot.

“Hi, Kate!” I almost yelled at her as I was passing by Dave and her.

“Hello, Aimee!” she said politely. “Oh, wait! I‘ll come with you.”

I paused and waited for her as she had asked.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” she nodded to Dave, confident for the first time, and she walked towards me.

“Kate!” he said softly and we both turned. “Have a nice afternoon.” he grinned.

That was when I first saw his face clearly. Sharp lines were defining his cheekbones and jaw. His eyes weren’t exactly blue, but they were light blue-green and his teeth appeared perfectly straight behind his grin.

“You too.” she smiled back.

I wanted to hold myself and don’t ask about him, but I also wanted to hear what she was thinking. I could understand her feelings, but I couldn’t read her mind. She might need a push. It would be a shame an arrow to be wasted like that. Yet, I was afraid that I might say something I’m supposed not to know about.

Kate and I started walking.

“So who was that hottie?” I tried to be careful.

“Hottie?” she echoed.

“What? C’mon did you actually see him?”

Kate probably thought that he looked handsome to her for some strange reason, but indeed, he was handsome.

“I… I didn’t notice that.” she muttered.

“Wow! You didn’t notice? Definitely, he doesn’t look like the average guy you cross at the street.”

“He may not.”

I raised an eyebrow. “So he isn’t your boyfriend, yet.”

“Boyfriend? What? … Aimee!”

“Why? It’s not something bad. You’re under his spell, already.” I bit the inside of my mouth. Maybe that was a bit too much for me to say.

“Aimee, what are you talking about?” Kate demanded.

“Well…” I was trying to find some good excuse. “I can tell that you feel a bit… upset. Can you explain why?”

“I ‘m not upset.” she answered quickly.

“Of course you are!” I said in a playful tone. “It’s not bad. And he’s likeable.” I smiled.

She sighed.

“Kate, grab this chance.” I encouraged her.

“What chance?” she asked confused.

“Did you see the way he was looking at you?”

I realized that I was blinded by their fascinating feelings for each other and I had concentrated only on them. Everyone would be able to notice the spark between these two, though. That last time when he looked at her, his irises were flickering. Fire was slowly burning beneath them. Pretty much obvious. Like a lot.

“No. I didn’t.” she breathed.

“And what did you see, Kate? He likes you!” Actually he doesn’t just like you, he’s madly in love with you but I can’t tell you that.

“You can’t say that.” Kate insisted.

“Of course I can! I saw the way he was looking at you. And you’re so busy trying to hide everything that might give away what you feel. Maybe if you didn’t like him that much, you would be able to see that, too.” I got carried away. Too late.

She looked shocked and embarrassed at the same time. “What the hell was that?” she finally asked after a short moment.

“I have eyes and I see. Look. I’m sorry.” I apologized. “Maybe I overreacted or something. All I wanted to say is…” I paused and checked if she was listening to me. She was. “Grab this chance. If he does a move, take the advantage of it. Besides, he seems nice.” I continued.

“I didn’t get your point. Why are you telling me this?” she asked gently.

We had arrived at the corner where we would turn on opposite directions, so we both stopped walking.

“Cause the little time I know you I realized that you put off boys defensively.” I would probably shouldn’t say that either.

“Aimee, why? I mean… how can you say that?” more confusion appeared upon her face.

“It’s how I see you. I… I’m sorry.” I apologized for a second time.

 She didn’t answer.

“He seems nice.” I repeated quietly. “I guess I’ll see you.”

“Good afternoon.” Kate said.

All I could feel was a chaos. Kate looked dazed when she turned. It seemed so twisted but also so true to her.