Dangers Back: Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

Biting the inside of my cheek, I slowly stood up, grasping onto my phone for dear life as I walked over to the front door. The moment I unlocked it, there was no turning back. Taking a deep breath, I grasped the doorknob, twisting it before tearing the door open, revealing both Carly and John standing on my front porch.

Carly's eyes held compassion, knowing exactly what I was feeling due to the countless nights she stayed with me, holding me while I cried into her chest, repeatedly telling her that I was sorry and that I should have listened to her from the beginning.

To say I was hurt was a complete understatement. I was beaten lifeless of any feelings known to man. I was numbed from head to toe, not knowing how to handle myself any longer but slowly but surely I found the inner comfort in me and fought to keep myself contained.

I did one hell of a good job getting back on my feet too and starting my life up again, that was, until I was told that Justin would be released after serving his rightful time in jail.

John stared over at me with a shaded look of sympathy in his eyes, knowing first hand, before anyone, what I was feeling.

"You okay?" Carly asked me, breaking the thick silence that fell amongst us and immediately she squeezed her eyes shut, mentally cursing her.

John wrapped an around her waist, pulling her into his side and squeezing her hip, silently telling her to shut up.

I gave her a wry smile, trying hard not to frown. "I'm fine, Carls." I closed the door behind me before maneuvering my way past them and down the front pathway that led from the sidewalk to my house and vice versa.

I nodded towards the rest of the guys that happened to be seated in the car, watching me intently, for any signs of distress. Giving them a small wave, I gave a thin lipped smile this time, turning to make sure John and Carly were behind me while waiting until Carly made her way beside me.

Opening the door, she slipped in first before I sat down beside her. Bruce stepped on the gas petal, revving the car up before silently streaming down the sidewalk towards the correctional officer's facility.

Neither of them bothered to ask questions, already knowing the answer.

I turned my gaze outside the window, the blurred images outside catching my attention, my mind vanishing into thin air and towards the memories of the past.

"I don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't."

"Don't say that." I shook my head. "Don't feed me lies."

"I'm not-"

"You are." I emphasized strictly. "You're not invincible from the world, Justin. You may not be taken down by the cops but there are far more powerful and dangerous people out there who want to take you down."

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying hard to mask away the pain, desperately wanting to forget.