The New Girl

Medic and you have been a thing for almost three months now. You understood that this relationship was to be kept a secret in the closure of the four corners of the base, and that it should not affect you whatsoever in any way when it was finally time to risk it all out there on the battlefield.

Still, you two were happy with the relationship. The mere dalliance turned into something more; something Medic knew he must cherish, protect and satisfy. You have now become a part of his life, and you couldn't have wished for more.

But on a Thursday morning weeks later, every good thing that happened between you and the doctor seemed forgotten and distant, but you felt like you needed to remember the littlest detail of each one before they flutter away and are replaced by sadness, anger or spite.

"Everybody," announced Sniper one day, "our new recruit has finally come to help along side Engie. Now, this here is, Ms. Yannick."

When you got a first glimpse at her, you thought to yourself how this could possibly be the new recruit; and an Engineer no less! She looked way too perfect to be on this field of brutality and gore and it seemed as if everybody was on the same page as you.

Her brown hair fell into soft, puffy curls that hung just below her shoulders. Her eyes sparkled with the brightest shade of green, and her lips were naturally a redder shade than most. But what impressed you the most was the fierce spirit underneath that pretty demeanor of hers. You sensed it, and you were sure the others did too.

Unusually, you found yourself doing the one thing you didn't think you'd be doing anytime soon. You reached near your cheek and tucked in some loose strands of hair behind your ear. Were you conscious of yourself? Was it something about her that bothered you?

You felt yourself shift uncomfortably from time to time; pulling your shirt down to tighten it, wiping any sweat that may appear under your nose, or even clearing your throat so your voice won't sound too raspy the next time you'll speak.

Whatever the reasons were, you hoped the formalities would be over soon.

"So, I heard you're the doctor of the team?" the visitor began, referring to Medic.

"Vell, Fraülein, you are right about zhat, hehe," your lover chuckled, doing some gestures with his hand, "but, eh... I am not exactly a legal doctor anymore. I lost mein medical license years ago due to a, vell, unfortunate mishap."

You watched as the Medic spoke to her. There was a certain warmth between the two of them, and you couldn't help but notice the uneasiness in the doctor's voice as he acquainted himself more clearly. By now, he still hasn't gotten used to the reactions he'll expect people to give him; those being of disgust, fear or even just plain hate. He expected her to cringe, but instead, Ms. Yannick only laughed gleefully at his story.

"Oh, doctor," she sighed, "surely a man with such great skill in the medical field wouldn't forget a patient's skeleton now, would he?"

"Vell, I may be zhe only one." he added jokingly and they both laughed. You tried to catch up and laughed along with them, an undeniable hint of awkwardness hinting your voice.

Finally, the tortuous time has passed and the newcomer was allowed to rest. You headed straight for the clinic, hoping to relieve yourself in the company of the doctor, but just as you were about to turn a sharp corner, you heard the Medic and Del talking together.

"Ain't she a beaut?" you heard the Texan say.

"Oh, ja- zhis vill definitely make your job easier."

They carried on talking, and with one spin of the heel, you found yourself trying to block the previous voices and just going straight back to your bedroom. But if only you stayed, you would have known that the doctor and Del were talking about the latter's new invention: the Gunslinger. (But you didn't really need to know that.)