Chapter 2 - Rowan

Start from the beginning

"If you don't believe me, there's an official sealed and signed letter from the king himself sitting on my coffee table at home," I said, wishing I had the foresight to bring it with me.

He shrank back. "No, I believe you. So what did your parents say?"

I looked away from him. "They want me to go through with it. He's promising a lot of money. They said I was being selfish for refusing."

"How much money?"

"I didn't see the exact numbers, but apparently I'd earn more per day than my parents make in a month."

Rowan whistled. "Damn." He sighed heavily. "It's not fair. That... asshole acts like he owns people."

I leaned over to rest my head on his shoulder. He slid his arm around me instinctively. We sat in silence for a long time, lost in thought. I was so glad I had Rowan on my side. Nothing would dare come between us.

I glanced up at his face and saw that he was staring out the window, his brow furrowed.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked.

He looked down pensively. "Maybe you should go through with it."

I shot up, letting go of his arm. "What?"

He turned to me, eyes wild. "Think about it. You could get close to him. Close enough to get him alone and unguarded."

My mind raced as I processed what he was telling me. My stomach dropped in anticipation of what he was going to say next. "Rowan," I pleaded.

"Avery, you could kill him," he said.

I felt the blood in my veins turn to ice. I stared at him in numb horror. How could he ask this of me?

He took both of my hands in his, his expression now more determined than ever. "You could end humanity's suffering," he said pleadingly.

I drew my hands away from his. "You're crazy."

He laughed and shook his head, which really didn't help his case. "Avery, you could help so many people! Doesn't any of that matter to you?"

I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me. First my parents, now Rowan. Was there anyone left who cared about me? Tears began flowing from my eyes.

"When I came to you, I thought you would comfort me and maybe the two of us would think of a way to get out of this. I never dreamed that you would want me to risk my life assassinating the goddamn vampire king. I thought you cared about me!" I sobbed.

Rowan narrowed his eyes coldly. "Do you have any idea what kind of chance you're wasting? If I was in your position, I'd sacrifice myself in a heartbeat if it meant I helping free humanity from the clutches of a tyrant." He looked away. "I thought you understood, but clearly you don't. This was a mistake, Avery."

I stood frozen, mouth wide open in shock. I was too bewildered by his words to even form tears in my eyes. "Are you... breaking up with me?"

"I can't be with someone so selfish," he sneered.

That was the final straw. I whirled around and almost pulled Rowan's bedroom door off its hinges as I stormed out. Out of his room, out of his house, out of his life.

***

I went to my favorite place to be alone. On the way all I could think about was what Rowan had said to me. His words felt like a stab in the gut each time my mind replayed them. Selfish. Selfish, selfish, selfish. He was no better than my parents. I thought I knew Rowan. I thought he loved me.

I arrived at Beaker's Point, a scenic cliff and the most picturesque sight in all of town. Rowan and I would come here to watch the sunset. But tonight he wasn't with me. He'd never be with me again.

The thought brought fresh tears to my eyes. I stumbled toward the fence and looked down at the ocean. It was impossibly blue and unfathomably deep. I wanted it to swallow me.

I looked down at the rocks below, observing the terrifying beauty of the waves hitting them, spraying white seawater on the face of the cliff. I wondered what it would feel like to fall. Would I die instantly? Or would I have time to feel the water crushing my bones against the jagged rocks?

I climbed over the wooden railing and stood on the edge. Closing my eyes, I spread my arms wide and stood there, feeling the wind blow against my skin. I was hyper-aware of the cliff's edge beneath my feet.

I could do it. I could take the plunge. That would show everyone. My parents, Rowan, the vampire king - they would all see. I would rather die than be a pawn in their games.

I suppressed a dizzying wave of panic and lifted one of my feet off the ground. One more step and I'd plunge into the frigid water below.

"There's nothing left for you here," I whispered. I took one final labored breath and let my body go limp, anticipating the fall.

But it was not the water I felt, or the rocks, or the rush of wind as I plunged to my death, but a stranger's arm grabbing me and pulling me back towards life.