Chapter 5

The next few hours were not fun.  Once I'd showered, Lashonda took me into a small room, where I proceeded to watch an hour long video on the Juvenile Justice Department.  The first couple of minutes were actually a bit interesting, but by the end I wanted to bang my head against the wall.

The amount of sugar-coating going on in the video was insane.  It made it sound like my "stay" in Juvie was gong to some relaxing, rewarding vacation.  In the video there was smiling, laughing kids in jumpsuits enjoying yummy food.

 I had already known enough of this place to know that this was a long stretch from reality.

Next I had to do an interview with one of the officers.  He asked the most uncomfortable questions, and I left with my face blushing bright red.

All of the officers I'd met so far seemed rude and unbearable.  I didn't know if I just had to give them time to grow on me or what, but I honestly didn't know what they had against me.

The only one I could stand was Lashonda.  She seemed tough at first, but she had a good sense of humor and didn't seem to hate me like the others.  

The bell dismissing the students from school had rang hours ago, and my eyelids drooped with every second that passed.  Now I was back in the warden's room for some unknown reason.  Honestly, I just wanted to go to my cell and sleep for a year or two.

I glared angrily at the wall, a scowl on my face.  I knew that exhaustion was making me grumpy, but at the moment I didn't care.  A part of my brain reminded me not to let my attitude get me in trouble. 

The warden finally entered again, and for some reason I stood up from my chair.  He raised an eyebrow at me and I awkwardly sat back down, feeling flustered.  There was something about this guy that made me feel uneasy.

"I see they've prepared you already."  He noted, gesturing towards my attire.  I glanced down the outfit I had been given and gave a quick nod.

"That's what I called you hear to talk to you about.  You may be prepared in all the physical aspects, but there is no way to mentally prepare yourself.  You are about to experience nine months that could change you forever.  They will either build you up and make you stronger, or ruin you."

 I shivered at his tone, and the implication of his words.

Refusing to let him see my fear, I met his eyes and held his gaze.  "I'll be able to handle it."  I insisted, keeping my voice steady.  The warden shook his head, looking disbelieving.

"Let's see if you're still saying that this time tomorrow."  He shot back, refusing to back down.

I rolled my eyes, finally letting my frustration show.  So much for getting a pep talk from this guy.  At least I was trying to have a good attitude, why was he trying so hard to shoot me down?

Seeming to sense that I was done with the conversation, he stood up.  "Well, I guess that's all I really have to say.  Lashonda will escort you to your cell.  Do yourself a favor and don't get in trouble.  I won't be too happy if I see you again in my office anytime soon."

Once again I nodded, annoyed that he'd made me wait for so long to give me such a pointless message.  

Lashonda walked up and led me towards the door.  With one final glance at the warden, I walked out of the room.  

It took a long time to get where we were going.  For the first time, I was struck by the size of this place.  I'd already been to many different parts of it, but it looked as if there was a lot more I hadn't seen.  This place was sure bigger on the inside than it looked from the outside.