The Devil

Even for someone in this day and age he looked weird. It was almost like this boy was death in human form.

His black hair was freakishly long. His clothes, though there were few of them, probably cost more than you were worth. His eyes were red as blood.

"You'll have to pay for that, sir," you said, but you knew that he must be some sort of noble that wouldn't treat a slave like you with any respect.

"Oh, but, I'm poor you see," he said with a smirk, "I'm starving."

"Like hell you are," you said, "I wouldn't give a damn if your house just burned down, just pay me and go away."

The smirk on his unnaturally pale lips grew. You didn't like this guy one bit. He looked like a complete freak.

"Tch. What a sharp tongue for a slave. I'm sure your master wouldn't be very approving of your aggression towards his customers," the boy leaned over the table with his hands cupping his chin. It was unnerving having those red eyes examining you so closely.

"I'm sure she wouldn't give a damn either," I said, backing away from the snake, "As long as she gets her money she doesn't care."

"Oooh, your master's female is she?" He said, sitting on the table and taking another peach from the bowl, "I bet that must be strange, having a woman own you."

He took a bite out of the peach. This guy was pissing me off by the second. I clenched my fist but didn't say anything.

"I know where you come from," he said continuing to eat, "It's hard to mistake that accent of yours. Every once in a while I see one of you, but I haven't seen a girl in a very long time. Every time I see one of you, you're in shackles," he said with false sympathy, "How pitiful."

What? How can he tell where I'm from? My village was destroyed.

"I think you must be mistaken. Everyone from my village is dead."

The smirk on his face diminished.

"Yes, supposedly," the boy stopped eating and his crimson eyes looked towards the street, "I guess a few of you had to have survived. Your master must have had to pay a lot for you."

"No, she didn't. I was only a child. She said she would 'take me in'. I didn't know she was a slave owner," you said, and then felt anger rising within you, "And, I am not owned by anyone."

"That's a lie."

"No it's not."

"Then why are you shackled up, forced to sell peaches in the middle of the day in unbearable weather conditions?"

"My body might be chained, but no one can ever own my spirit."

His eyes glanced back at you, and he took another bite from the peach. It was like the whole atmosphere around him was dark... evil.

The more you looked at him the more he unsettled you. Now you wished Master would come back soon.

"There are some things so dark in this world," the raven-haired weasel said, emphasizing each word, "that your soul was never free to begin with."

"No. Nothing controls my fate but me."

"You're wrong, sweetheart. Destiny controls you. Destiny controls us all," there was a hint of melancholy in his tone.

The boy's eyes seemed distant now, though their vermillion hue was still quite intimidating. How was it possible to have such pale skin and wear such few clothes; have such frightening, unloving eyes; and insight fear by merely being present? Who was this guy?

For just a brief moment, there was a freezing wind that rushed through the alley, blowing off your shawl. The boy was clutching tightly what appeared to be some sort of scepter. It bore a red stone at the end, the same color as his eyes, as well as the stone in a gold necklace of his.

It looked like there was a frosty aura around him for a split second. You blinked, and when your eyes reopened the fog was gone.

Did he cause that gust of wind just now?

He seemed scarier than ever now. Something about him had changed.

"I don't know why I even bothered talking to you," the devil slammed a couple of gold coins - much more than the peaches cost - down on the table, "You're just a slave."

"I'm a person. My slavery does not define me," you said softer now, bending down to pick up your shawl, and wrapping it back around you.

The boy growled, jumping off the table and landing with an aggravated thump.

"Why do you keep insisting on that?! You don't belong to yourself! You're a slave!" He snapped.

You looked up just in time to see him turning around to yell at you. Somehow you had provoked him more than you thought, striking him deeper than you meant by your persistence.

His eyes were wild with anger. Your heart was pounding in fear.

"I-I didn't mean to..." Your voice was small, weak, much unlike yourself.

In the heat of the hottest day his eyes had hypnotized you. You couldn't look away. You didn't feel the heat anymore. Everything was just... Cold.

"Judal! There you are," a boy appeared from around the corner, addressing the demonic maniac.

He was definitely of noble standard as well. The first thing you noticed about him was an astonishing scar on his face which you supposed also traveled down his body. Otherwise, he was quite handsome for a boy of his age. He also had two different colored blue eyes... Perhaps it was a result of the fire that had burned him as well.

"Judal, are you paying attention?" the younger boy said with a certain sweetness in his voice that made him seem more childish than his age, "Stop terrorizing people. We have business to do here."

The black haired monstrosity's upper body still heaved up and down in anger. All the same, you hoped the newcomer would convince him to go away before he attacked you or something.

He flicked his long raven braid over his shoulder with a tsk and walked towards the noble boy.

"Let's just go, Hakuryuu," he mumbled, turning away from you.

You stood there frozen, watching the pair to make sure they didn't destroy you.

The blue eyed boy looked at you, still remaining to keep a soft smile on his face.

"Thank you for your time," he said, putting his hands together and bowing.

"Come on, princess," satan snickered, putting his hand on the boy's shoulder, turning him away, and beginning to walk away. Then he added in a louder voice before walking off, "Thanks for the peaches, sweetheart!"