Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

"Lana, you're...not human." 

His words registered and I didn't move a muscle. Actually, I froze, just staring a him, trying to decipher what he was feeling, if he was lying or telling the truth. A warm, buzzing feeling tingled through my bones, something I had grown increasingly familiar with over my lifetime. It always happened when someone was telling the truth; Adrian was telling me the truth.

I would be lying if I said I was normal. I had never felt normal, not once in my entire life. I never felt like I fit in, like I had anybody that understood me, until I came here, to Mason Manor. Here, I felt connected, even to Joann, who is a fricking dog! 

"Lana! You were getting a little lost there." I blinked hard.

"What am I, Adrian? What's wrong with me?" He chuckled, actually chuckled.

"Nothing's wrong with you, sweetie. Nothing at all. You're just different, unique, special." My mind flashed to his use of 'sweetie' and I had to force myself to not read too much into it.

"Then what am I, Adrian? Stop avoiding the question!" He grew instantly serious. Bi-polar much?

"Well, you're two things, and that's what makes you so special. You get your witch blood from your mother, and you're necromancer blood from your father." My jaw dropped. I had never met my dad and my mom was dead and gone. But my mom had never seemed...witchly.

Weren't witches old, mean ladies with warts and wild hair? Didn't they live all alone in the woods and eat little children that happened to step in their path? Weren't they evil and ugly, gross and monstrous? How could my mom or I possibly have anything to do with that? And why had I never known?

Question after question swirled in my mind and flashed behind my eyes. I began to get a head ache and flopped back on the bed, still holding my towel to me carefully. Adrian collapsed next to me as I rubbed my forehead. "Ughhhh... Why is life so complicated?"

Adrian lifted one eyebrow at me and then broke into laughter that shook the whole bed. And it was a big bed, at least a king size. "I just told you that you're not human and you complain about life?" He laughed again, clutching his stomach as I glared.

"Can you take a hint? My head hurts. Shut up!" He just laughed even harder. I groaned loud enough for him to hear and turned on my side. 

"Okay, Lana?" Serious Adrian again. "You realize I just told you that you're a witch and a necromancer, right?" I moved to face him again, my eyes helplessly drawing to his gleaming muscles.

"I 'realize.' But, my whole life I've felt seperated from the rest of the world. What you just told me is the perfect answer to my feelings. And I read. I know what werewolves and vampires and crap are. And I was never the one to think that they weren't real. All that supernatural stuff had to come from somewhere. right?"

He looked at me like I was possibly the smartest person he had ever met. It made me feel a teensy bit proud of myself - okay, a lot proud.  

"You lived your whole life believing you were human, yet you so easily accept the supernatural world? How is that even possible?"

"It's just a Lana-thang." I grinned and he smiled right back, his white flashing. His adorably sexy face soon had my skin lighting up and my cheeks turning red. Did it get hot in here, or is it just me?

"Well, I should probably go to bed," I turned away from Adrian and climbed very carefully off the bed, trying to hide my blushing cheeks. 

"Lana?" I turned my head over my shoulder to see Adrian sprawled out on the bed, giving me a sly, mischievous grin, like the one I saw the very first day I met him. Funny how that day seemed so far away now. I mean, a lot had happened. I'd met Adrian and his uber cute niece and nephew. I'd babysitted them for over a month and over those awesome days, I had gotten to know this endearing family, including Joann, so well that I thought of them as my own. Now, I had been told I was a witch AND a necromancer, which was apparently pretty rare. And on top of ALL that, was a bright, red cherry with extra whip cream. If I wasn't mistaken, I believed that Adrian and I had more than a friendly relationship. That excited me from the roots of my hair to the tip of my toes.

"What?" His grin widened. He looked like a gorgeous Cheshire Cat, with that same twinkle in his eye. 

"Why don't you stay here?" He raised an eyebrow as he said this and I had to push down the urge to let a whoop of joy. He chuckled lightly under his breath. "You know, to talk. What were you thinking I meant?"

I tried not to let my face fall too hard. Wow. I really needed better control over my perverted mind, especially when it came to Adrian. And being around him in a towel probably wasn't the best idea then. "I'll be right back."

***