Spastic Biscuits

Song of the Chapter: Whole Wide World by Mindy Gledhill. Start playing the song when you read the # sign.

_________________________________________________________________

I was walking through the crowded hallways of Wilmslow, snaking my way through people who looked like they were genuinely having a fun time with their friends, engaged in conversation and laughing at every other word, and here I was, alone. How fun. I felt heavier, like every step was a workout. I smiled at a few people who I thought would smile back. They didn't, and just avoided my eyes. I tried to ignore them, but the pathetic feeling of loneliness nagged at me.

As I turned the corner, I saw them and I instantly felt overcome with fear and a desire to run away. Unfortunately, it was hard not to notice me, being the fact that I was a stout, unconfident, freckled girl with specks the size of Spain resting at the edge of my nose. In other words, I was dead meat. Great.

Luke Cramer made his way toward me, with his usual cronies walking behind him. I tried to turn around, but one of them was behind me as well.

Double great.

"Where do you think you're going, Hefty?" Luke said behind me. Every fiber of my being was begging me to change my name, lose fifteen million pounds, move to the outskirts of Tailand, and go to massage school, but I had no other choice. I turned around, afraid that within the next two minutes the little bit of pride I had left would be beaten down until it ceased to exist.

"No- nowhere," I stuttered, avoiding his eyes. He squatted down to find them and continued, looking straight into my eyes with his neck craned to the side.

"It looks like you've been putting on the pounds. Maybe tonight you should skip the dessert," Jake said from behind him and slapped my stomach. At that moment, my pride was nonexistent.

"St--stop-p- it-t," I managed to get out, though the tears threatened to leave my eyes any second. If I said any more words, I was afraid I'd open the floodgates. I felt absolutely defenseless. 

"But we were just getting started, chubby!" Mason said and they all laughed, as if it were the funniest thing on earth to be said.

"Actually, we do have to get running. You know, for the football game we have to practice for tonight," Luke said and the corner of his mouth curled into a mischievious smile.

"Yeah, I can't wait to get all that exercise. Heck, I might be able to lose a couple pounds! Maybe Beth should try that!" Parker chimed in. Everyone around me laughed. I felt so small with them all towering over me, acting as if I was 3 inches tall.

Suddenly, Luke grabbed my shoulders and slammed me against the lockers. Hard. Each lock dug into my back, making me wince at the pain.

"You better be at that game tonight," He whispered through gritted teeth. Each word was like a dagger in me, and each pair of eyes belonging to the kids in the halls burned a hole through me.

As if he hadn't done enough, he snatched my glasses off my face and threw them to the ground.

"Now get lost, faggot."

After he left, the tears spilled out of my eyes.

"Beth," I heard a voice say. I didn't recognize whose it is.

"Beth," the voice cooed again, and I was desperately looking throughout the halls to find the voice.

"BETH!" The voice said, snapping me awake.