Chapter 1

EDITED VERSION

Sounds of bare feet ambling on wooden planks echoed through a narrow corridor. A group of middle aged soldiers and several palace maids were walking toward the Emperor's Throne Room.

The maids were exquisitely dressed in light blue kimonos embroidered with chrysanthemum petals and sealed with a velvet obi. They strode with delicacy behind the guards with their hands tucked inside the sleeves of their kimonos.

Compared to the fearsome soldiers in the army the palace guards were dressed more appropriately to the occasion. Instead of the ponderous metallic gear, they wore a luster full-dress uniform with matching straw hats. On both sides of their robe was a latch that secured hand crafted swords from the best smiths in the country.

Out of the group, there was a distinct middle age man walking along side the guards. Usually, this meant that there was a special guest at the palace, and so anyone who had passed by would give their brief greetings and leave. However, with this man who could be spotted from a crowd of a thousand, the greetings took longer than usual.

It was not because he radiated an aura of authority nor that anyone recent in the palace knew who he truly was, but because this man was as beautiful as a white orchid:his skin was pale and smooth, with no signs of any complexions, eyes that glowed a bright hazel color, and lush lips full of color. The man's long, death black straight hair flowed to waist and radiated amidst the pastel scenery.

He had mesmerized the people's eyes the moment he made his entrance into the palace. Who would dare not to gossip, and so rumors of black haired beauty spread through out the kingdom. 

The man and those who accompanied him walked along the path of chrysanthemums until they reached a dozen of wide stairs leading to a closed gate. Unlike the other doors they had passed, this one was exceptionally decorated with golden dragons hanging loosely on the sides of the door. It had a unique embroidery of different abstract patterns, sealing the designs of the border.

The man started to feel his fingers tremble as they neared closer to the Throne Room. It had been years, nearly ten, since the last time he worked for the kingdom. He feared that history would repeat itself the minute he stepped foot inside; it was like signing another contract with the devil. 

Xuan Shi Luo, pull yourself together. What would your colleagues say if they saw you like this, he thought. Xuan never thought this day would ever come, especially after he was ultimately stripped of his position by fellow generals. A sly smirk escaped his mouth, to think they had the nerves to ask for my help... Seems like this country is approaching its doom quickly.

Xuan recalled the war a month ago, when the country was facing a dire execution by the hands of a neighboring country. He was personally visited by Kangzi, a general who abandoned his post, all to take a risk and beg Xuan to save their arses.

Now, Xuan doesn't consider himself a kind-hearted person. His only excuse was that he didn't want the place he used to serve for to fall. It'd be a detriment to his reputation, well, that's what he's deluding himself to thinking anyway.

The gates suddenly opened and poundings of a drum rang throughout the quarter.

The palace guards and maids stayed behind while Xuan waltzed into the Throne Room as if he owned the damn thing. He walked with pride down the red carpet as the southern and northern factions on the sides watched him. They too, were captivated and pleasantly surprised by their guest until they realized who the man truly was. Upon Xuan's arrival, mixed feelings of hate and admiration dawned across the faces of many.

Xuan stopped until he was about five yards away from the king and knelt down. One of his knee touched the group while the other was used to rest his right hand on. His hands were held together, arms bents and stretched outward to greet the most important people in the room, the Crown Prince, and the princess. They replaced the deceased king who had recently passed. With no king to control the politicians, the Crown Prince was quickly voted to take over.