The Reason

It had been weeks since Slade had pursued Starfire. Cyborg, Beast Boy, and Raven thought She  was acting fine, but Robin knew better. She just wasn't herself. She wasn't eating, she had terrifying nightmares every night, and she started to hurt more and more each day. She even locked herself in her bedroom, or went up to the roof by herself for hours each day. She loved being around people and being happy but now she just wasn't the same.

Robin walked up behind Starfire who sat on the roof of the tower, her feet dangling off of the edge.

"Hey," Robin said smoothly, plopping down next to her, "I've missed you."

She smiled, "How could you miss me? I have been with you for weeks on end. You barely let me out of your sight." She sounded aggrivated now, like this feeling had been building up for the past three weeks and now it decided to come out.

Robin held his hands up in surrender, "Whoa, Star, I'm sorry if I've been following you, I'm just worried."

She sighed, "It is I who am sorry. I should not have yelled at you. You are only concerned for me, and I very much appreciate it. I just wish..."

Robin looked into her eyes. Inside, he saw tremendous longing and hope. But the hope was holding on by a string. "You wish what, Star?"

"I wish what Slade had said could have been true. If i could just see them one more time, then..." She trailed off, knowing that it would never happen.

"Star, Slade can't be trusted."

She looked down at the rocks and the water so far below her. "I know."

All of a sudden Starfire clutcher her stomach and fell onto her side. She grunted in pain and cried.

"Ah!" her screams were deafening but that's not what Robin was worried about.

"Starfire! Starfire!" He scooped her up into his arms and brought him to the main room and laid her on the couch. Everyone stopped fighting and gathered around Starfire. Her screams for mercy increased.

Robin turned to Raven, "Do something! You have healing power!"

Raven was frantic around Starfire. She touched her stomach and tried to heal it but it wouldn't work.

"I don't know why its not working!" Raven screamed over  Starfire's grunts of pain.

"Robin!" Starfire screamed, her pains becoming worse.

Robin ran to her side, "Starfire! I'm here! Star!"

Then the pains stopped. Starfire stopped screaming, everyone stopped panicking. She panted loudly, relieved that it was over.

Abruptly, the huge television screened was illuminated by a face. Slade's face.

Robin stood up, his hands clenched into fists of anger. "Slade!"

Slade chuckled wryly, "Hello Robin. We meet again. I see your little friend, Starfire, over there has some pain problems."

Robin's eyes widened in anger and fear and indescribable fury. "What did you do to her?!"

"It was so easy to plant that probe into her system, making her a whole different person. She seemed angrier, didn't she, Robin? Just for a second? She would be the perfect apprentice for me. She's strong, powerful, smart... Just like Terra."

Beast Boy's teeth grit in disgust of Slade ever mentioning Terra's name again. "You're not going to take Starfire!"

Slade's voice had a certain sound that made him grin, "Oh but you see, Beast Boy, I will. She's mine. I can make her do whatever I want. Do you rememeber that little suit that I gave to Terra? Well what I did now makes controlling people a whole lot easier. With one probe, I can change everything about her. I can make her hurt if she disobeys or maybe if her teammates disobey."

Robin was faced with something that would change him. He either had to let Starfire go, or risk having her hurt again.

"You can either give her to me or hurt her again. And i don't think you want the latter on your hands. Just remember, Robin, I am always watching."

The screen went blank and they all turned to Starfire who had left the room when no one was watching. Robin, enraged with fury, slammed onto the coffee table almost breaking it in half.

Beast Boy slumped onto the couch, "What are we gonna do? He wants Star and if we don't give her to him, he's gonna hurt her."

Cyborg spoke up with something that turned Robin's fury into hatred, "I don't think we have a choice."

Robin's eyes widened even more. He started to yell, "You're just going to let him take her?! We have to fight! We have to get that probe out of her somehow!"

Raven laid a hand on Robin's shoulder. She was calm unlike everyone else. "Well what else can we do? If we fight, he'll just hurt her again."

Robin didn't want to see her hurt even more. It was horrible enough at night when she was just having nightmares let alone the real deal. "I don't know about you," he spoke up, calmer then before but still enraged, "but i am not going down without a fight."