Chapter 61

~Why not listen to music while you read~

February 1868

It was the end of February. The Shinsengumi changed their name to the Kouyou Regulatory Company and left Edo for Koufu. Sanan and Heisuke were ordered to remain behind. I assumed to be left in Edo as well, but for some reason, Hijikata ordered Chizuru and I to accompany the Koufu Regulatory Company to Koufu. I departed Koufu along with Saito and in many ways it seemed as if nothing much had changed. ...Well, there was one change...

"Man, never thought I'd see the day when I march into battle in western clothes, you know? I guess this is what happens when you get old..."

"Well, Hijikata does like new things. I guess if the guess we're fighting dressing like this, maybe we should give it a shot. Maybe it will help.

"It's kinda hard to get used to though. I mean, I'm still not sure I get these things... They're called 'buttons.' I think...?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at Nagakura's comment on western clothing. Buttons were a breeze to me when I lived in the Twenty First Century. Along with the change in name, Hijikata had ordered everyone to begin wearing western clothes. I even had an outfit for myself. I guess Hijikata remembered that I was from the future and gifted me one as well. Everyone looked a bit uncomfortable with the clothes however and I glanced over at Saito.

"How do your new cloths feel? Are they uncomfortable?"

"No, not really..."

"Um, Saito... It looks like you missed two extra buttons over there... You buttoned them wrong." I said with a slight chuckle.

Saito looked silently down at his buttons and examined them for a moment.

"Here, come closer."

He looked up with a confused face as I motioned him to come closer. When he got into hands reach I proceeded to fix the buttons. "There you go." said to him with a smile. I could see a slight blush on his face as he thanked me and walked away.

I followed Saito back to Chizuru and Nagakura having a conversation. "I haven't seen Kondou for awhile. Did he go somewhere?"

Nagakura's voice was bitter." Oh, he is probably just hasn't caught up to us yet. I bet he's still getting drunk with some of those new guys in Hino. Dammit, what the hell is he thinking? We're going to war, not on vacation!"

"Hey, lay off a little, all right? I'm sure the guy just wants to see his family. He hasn't been home in awhile. Who wouldn't want to boast of there success a little?"

"He can drink and boast all he wants. I just think there might be a better time to do it, you know?"

There were some awkward shuffling and mumbling from the troops. I glanced over at Saito as discreetly as I could manage to try and gauge what he thought of Nagakura's outburst. He said nothing of course, but his brow was furrowed and it seemed clear that he was deep in thought. I was going to ask for his opinion when Hijikata spoke.

"You two okay?" Tired?"

"Huh? Oh, no, I'm fine." Chizuru said with a blush on her face. It was so obvious she liked Hijikata. I found it cute.

"I'm fine as well."

"Sorry for bringing you two along."

"Oh, it's nothing..."

A little something was bothering me since he told us to accompany the Shinsengumi. He could have left us there. Why didn't he. I should ask. "Is it really alright for us to come? Will we not be in the way once the fighting starts?"

Hijikata's mouth thinned. He stroked his jaw for a few moments, thinking, before he replied. "I wanted to leave you two in Edo. ...But it's too dangerous to leave you back there at the mansion. Probably safer for you on the battlefield, ironically."

"Dangerous?" Chizuru asked obviously puzzled.

"You mean Sanan...?" Spoke Saito in monotone once again.

"Yeah. He's been acting weird lately. Like maybe he's lost it."

"..." I didn't want to say anything but I had noticed Sanan acting strange as well. It also seems Chizuru noticed as well.

"Could've left you there, but if something happened, that would've been... not good. Bringing you two with us wasn't ideal, but it was better than the alternative. Sorry if it's been rough for you."

"Oh no, not at all. Please, don't worry about us."

"Commander, there's something I need to tell you."

"Hm? Well, what is it, Saito?"

"Shinpachi and Sano have expressed some concerns about the Koufu battle. Especially regarding...Chief Kondou's actions."

Hijikata's smile was somewhat bitter. "Concerns? That's a polite way of putting it. Yeah, I saw that too. We're about to go to war and the Chief's out getting plastered? Seems pretty natural to get pissed off. But these days we don't get new men just by putting out a sign saying we're looking for fresh blood. Sometimes you need to bribe, sometimes you need to lubricate things with a bit to drink, and a few hint about tons of cash."

Hm? I didn't know how to run an army or gather warriors, but how could they expect mean who had been bribed to help fight for the good, just like the rest of the men in the Shinsengumi?

"If I might be so bold... Commander, do you think we can win here?"

Another bitter smile. "Dammit, you keep asking me stuff I don't want to answer. Judging by how we lost at Toba-Fushimi, and the morale on the other side right now... I'd say we've got our work cut out for us. The shogunate gave us some guns and cannons for this one but... I hear the other side's got some brand new stuff straight from Europe. I don't know how effective our guns will be against that. Shogunate's mean haven't been outside Edo for months. They don't know what kind of guns the Imperial Army's got. Or they do know, but they don''t want to admit they can't match it. ...Or they've got other intentions."

"Then... is this battle already lost?"

"Well, we're gonna fight our hardest, and I sure as hell don't want Kondou to have to lose anymore battles, but... They got more men. They got better guns. Facts are, it doesn't look good for us." Hijikata looked up at the sky for a moment, his eyes empty, before he turned to us. "Can't say this to Shinpachi or Sanosuke though, right? I'me sure they've figured it out." He gave out a dry humorless laugh.

Never before had I seen Hijikata so completely devoid of confidence. They were expected to fight and win, even when victory was impossible.

Saito nodded quietly." I understand what you mean... You are quite accomplished at playing the villian."

"It's my job."