The Midnight Rollercoaster

Start from the beginning

"Prepare to be amazed, my darling, for the night is dark and full of terrors." Masen teases, his nose pressed into her wild, dark curls. A throaty laugh rumbles from his chest and Elodie lightly punches his side, shaking her head as her own body shakes from silly laughter. Why must he quote Game of Thrones whenever they're together? Perhaps because it's one of his favourite memories with Elodie, sneaking up into her bedroom as she watches the show, sliding under the covers and holding her until she sleeps.

She's the one, he knows it now.

The ride is short. It was actually long, but to Elodie, it felt like a mere five seconds instead of an hour and a half. She's also quite a wuss whenever it came to dark things and creepy sights, but with Masen by her side, she felt rather invincible. Like she could face anything, like she could take on the whole entire world.

"How do we get in?" Elodie asks, noticing the front gates are similar to one of a haunted mansion, with chains all over and one large, rusty old lock keeping it all together. But Masen is silent, just his smile rather tainted in the darkness as he lifts up a bit of sheet Elodie hadn't have noticed in the lack of light, only using the flashlight on her new iPhone.

Elodie says nothing as her hand is soon clasped by Masen's, leading her to a whole new world of darkness. But in this darkness, could she see the night sky, the beautiful stars shining above. Masen loved comparing the constellations in the sky to the constellations on her cheeks, the inevitable freckles scattered across her nose whenever she spends too much time in the sun and she finds them embarrassing, but he loves them all. He loves her.

"What are we going to do now?" Elodie asks once more, the girl full of questions and curiosity but Masen has seems to have lost his voice and resorts to simple actions, like playing with her fingers, or letting his cheek rest in his hair as the two walk through the empty amusement park.

There's a rollercoaster, more than nine storeys high, with a magnificent drop and a broken track unseen by Elodie, but Masen knew it is there. It's been there for a while now. "I've told you the story about this rollercoaster, haven't I?"

"Only about a thousand times," Elodie replies, a soft giggle escaping her rosy lips but her eyes gaze up into his, preparing herself for story time, "But I love it. Tell me it again." Those were the words he wanted to hear–those were the words that told him that it's time. That she's ready. Finally, will she be his forever. Just like they promise on nights when they stay up far too late, and she's so happy to just be with him and he's tired of having one, very large barrier still standing between them.

And tonight, he plans to break it down.

"Why don't I do something better," Masen replies, his eyes shining as they return her loving gaze, "Why don't I show you?" The way he whispers it into her ear has shivers spraying down her spine, but they were pleasurable and she's caught under his spell.

Masen takes her hand and Elodie follows his footsteps, her head craning so she can see the stars and she can admire the anomaly of the amusement park. Masen loves the look of admiration in her eyes, how those twinkling chocolate irises burn a brilliant colour of amber beneath the natural light. She's phenomenal–absolutely phenomenal and on this night, the clock ticking close to the midnight hour, Masen knows she's ready.

Soon, he believes, soon she shall be his forever.

Elodie finally catches clear sight of the death-defying drop of the rusty old rollercoaster tracks, only as magnificent as it could ever be. The highest peak is at least ninety feet, and for an old thing, Masen promises it goes from zero to sixty in just a matter of seconds. Her stomach clenches in reminiscence of the story; she knew the rollercoaster closed a good thirty, forty years ago when a young man was tied onto a carriage and followed down to the broken tracks.