3. Confounding Connection

Start from the beginning

"Great, so are you really set on that song you texted me? It sounds cool. I'm familiar with it. But out of curiosity, can I ask why you picked that song?" Glaiza asked.

"Well, Tove Lo is a really cool artist and the lyrics to that song of hers 'Habits (Stay High)' kinda stays in line with our previous agreement to keep going with our subtle fan service even now that TRMD is over." Rhian reminded Glaiza of the time when they had their last mall show for TRMD and talked backstage about how to appease the raging RaStro Rebels who seem to have an unquenchable thirst for their tandem and constantly going on social media meltdowns if they failed to show any kind of interaction for even just a few days.

They were seated side by side backstage while waiting for their cue to enter onstage. It was their last mall show to promote TRMD and separation anxiety levels were high among the cast and crew. Most of all, fans of their love team were already acting like the sky is falling and that it was the last time they were gonna see each other.. heck, some even started the hashtag #GoodbyeRastro and that kind of sentiment from a large amount of people is contagious. Well at least for Rhian. Glaiza was more quiet and reserved about the whole thing, but who knows what's raging on inside that clamshell of hers; you had to peel this girl off piece by piece like an onion before you get to know what's really inside... Rhian thought. She wouldn't mind peeling her clothes off either. Gosh, Rhian stop acting like such a fuckboy for once.. she had to bite her own tongue to stop saying it out loud.

"I agree, Rhi. I'm sure, they would be craving for our interactions but you know, we have no more reason to do that much fan service since the show is done and people would only make up stories on why we are still interacting like Jade and Althea. I have received enough backlash as it is from some homophobic people questioning my sexuality. It's easier for you coz you have a boyfriend. And I am not like you, I admire how you handle things so calmly and even manage to joke about it but I get easily hurt and tend to just slam myself shut whenever I feel pain from the world. Even the Korean drama adaptation soap they were proposing for me was put on hold by management because they think the audience will be having trouble accepting me in hetero roles again. I love our show and everything we stand for because of it but I don't wanna loose my day job." Glaiza sighed.

"Okay, how about this, we still continue fan service but through subtle hints that only our avid fans can relate to but would be hard for the outside world to decipher. Like that time when I had a race and after that I had to take a photo with Jason (Rhian's "boyfriend") but I sneakily put my hand at my back and made our "kennekshen" (connection- sign that Glaiza used to describe what she had with Rhian during an interview by putting the tips of her index fingers together and which was then done by both girls using each of their hands everytime they interact in public) sign with my finger, but of course it was hanging in the air, and some very alert Rebels immediately made edits of it connecting your own finger to mine using your picture. That way they weren't so jealous that I took a picture with him, soften the blow, so to speak," Rhian felt like a proud puppy who just did a trick for its master.

"Haha, you are really brilliant, kid. Well, okay, I think maybe I will do the same like, wear some of the stuff that our fans gave us both in pairs whenever I find myself in a situation that will fail to pass the Rebel Quality Control Department." Glaiza's face momentarily brightened up to the idea but went back to its forlorn state again.

"Good. But I cant believe management would put on hold that great new career opportunity for you, how dare they.. if you need a hero, I'm here.. and yeah, I have read some of the Instagram comments about you, I am often tagged on those. Everyone's nice until they piss you off... and you don't deserve those words, if they only know how wonderful you are... Glaiza Castro Galura, don't be so insecure coz you are you and I wouldn't take you any other way,"Rhian's voice softened as she looked directly at the sad-faced girl and started to caress and seemingly arrange her nice hair with two of her fingers. How ironic that Glaiza thought it was easier for her coz she has a boyfriend. Heck, if only she didn't have a boyfriend she wouldn't be able to resist her current overwhelming impulse of proceeding to caress the other girl's smooth cheeks and...

"Hey gays, it's your turn to sing! I'm done slaying them with my powerful dance moves! Watch me whip..." Chynna, their lanky and sassy co-star who played the butch lesbian Batchi, barged in on their moment with a naughty laugh.

Rhian felt like a middle-schooler being saved by the bell. Heaven knows what some out of whack thing she might have done if Chynna didn't cock- block them on time. Like kiss Glaiza, for example. With everyone busily moving around them, privileged fan club members, makeup artists, personal assistants and all.

Back to the present moment, Rhian explained to Glaiza that she picked the song Habits for them to sing because it portrays someone trying to stay high with any kind of distraction (binge eating or doing random video blogs on Rhian's part or accepting all sorts of music gigs til she drops on Glaiza's part) in life just so she can forget the one she truly loves but cannot have.. and that is how she wants Rebels to think, that RaStro really still care for each other but they just try to keep busy with their own lives to forget each other, coz that is the only way fans will ever be able to endure the fact that they do have to accept other jobs and do things separate from each other.

"Wow, bright idea, Miss Ramos, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you are truly falling for me. Wait, are you?" Glaiza teased Rhian with that familiar twinkle in her eye.

Rhian almost choked on the Nesfruta she was drinking,"Yo, dude. Falling is strictly prohibited, remember?" she quickly chided Glaiza's joke and added,"but you know, I honestly did fall in love with Althea, no lie. She was one hot badass chick, and you portrayed her well."

"I sometimes get to take Althea home with me, you know, that's how deep I was into her character." Glaiza confessed matter-of-factly.

R: "Really? Can you ask her to go to my house as well? Like in a sleepover or something?"

G: "Maybe. Then maybe she could ask if you two could do that after my concert... Haha, but seriously Althea is lucky."

R: "Lucky how?"

"That you fell in love with her!" Glaiza shouted laughingly as she walked away from Rhian to get her guitar and adjust the straps.

"Well, of course she is. How about you, do you wanna be lucky?" Rhian threw her voice at Glaiza. She was now fully alive as she amped up her flirting levels. And the way Glaiza put the guitar in her arms and stroked its strings with her nimble fingers was adding fuel to the ignition.

G: "What? Oh, (realizing it was a joke) of course, who wouldn't feel flattered to be loved by one Rhian Ramos, one of the prettiest faces in Philippine showbiz, hot car racer, best actress, commercial model, lover extraordinaire... etc, etc..."

"Stop! If you don't shut up, I'll kiss you..." Rhian mumbled.

G: "What?"

R: "What? Let's practice."

Alchris, Glaiza's younger brother who was arranging some video equipment and was the only one near Rhian, couldn't help but smirk at the playful exchange.