Chapter 11: America

3 Days Later

I had been at the palace for five days since the wedding incident, and I was leaving at four o'clock. I woke up in my hospital bed and nurses came to me to see if I was ok, and I was. Dr. Ashlar took a quick look at my now healing wounds, and told me that I could definitely leave today.

"You're in amazing condition for only five days after." he commented. I just sat there silently and nodded sombrely.

Maxon still hadn't woken up from his coma, and I had to leave. I didn't want to leave him, but I couldn't stay at the palace; it was no longer my home.

I ate my breakfast; oatmeal with cinnamon and apple slices, and prepared to go back. Back to my normal life. No. I thought.My life will never be the same.

A silent tear ran down my cheek. I knew Maxon was alive, but not having him by my side made my heart ache for him. I wiped the tear off of my cheek and looked around. There were nurses and doctors everywhere.

"Excuse me, can I use the bathroom?" I asked a short, blonde woman.

She nodded. "Of course! It's just down the hall and to the left."

"Thank you." I said as I eased myself out of bed. I hadn't done much walking and my legs were stiff. I walked down the hall and to the corridor Dr. Ashlar had taken me down each time I visited Maxon.

I opened the door slowly and thankfully, there was no nurse in sight. I crept into the room and knelt down beside the love of my life, who was sleeping peacefully.

"Maxon." I whispered. "Maxon, wake up." I stayed silent for a little and listened to the heart monitor beeping. His heartbeat was steady, and that was good. I interlocked my fingers with his and held his hand.

"Maxon, I have to go. Promise me that you'll wake up." I squeezed his hand lightly and kissed his palm. I crept out of the room and down the corridor.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" an angry male voice echoed through the halls. Dr. Ashlar, looking very mad, walked around the corner.

"I just needed to see him one more time." I said. "I'm sorry."

"You can't do that." he stood a couple of feet in front of me, looking sympathetic and annoyed at the same time. "You could have just asked."

"It's not the same with you watching my every move." I said quietly.

"I get your point, but in a way, we were watching your every move."

"What?" I asked, startled.

"There's a camera in His Majesty's hospital room. When nurses and doctors aren't in there, we can watch to see if anyone comes in or if anything happens. But we usually have someone in there with him. You got lucky."

"Well, you won't have to worry about me anymore. I'm leaving today." I said sadly. I walked away to my bed and gathered the few belongings I'd brought to the palace, and placed them in my little drawstring bag. I sat on the bed and sighed.

I got up after a while and took a short walk down the halls. I gazed at the familiar arches and beams, the paintings and decorations on the walls, the maids and guards lining the halls. I took a last glance at all of the beautiful things in this beautiful place. I would miss it.

I walked until I got to the corridor where my old room was, then turned around and ventured down to Dr. Ashlar's office to tell him that I was ready to go. I walked in the doorway and he was sitting in his desk, staring at some papers.

"Dr. Ashlar?" I asked, and he looked up. "I'm- I'm ready to go." I choked out.

"The plane is leaving at four, so you have about an hour until you have to go." he said, looking at his watch. He looked up and my our eyes met. I could see the sympathy in his expression.

"I'm really sorry for what happened to you. I know it must be hard for you, and leaving the palace isn't going to help one bit. But I can't let you stay here as long as you're fine physically."

"It's ok." I said quietly. I don't know what happened, but then and there I just started bawling. It was just too emotionally jarring for me. Dr. Ashlar came and wrapped his arms around me.

"I promise I will do all that I can to help him wake up. I will." he said in a soothing voice.

I pulled away from his embrace. "Thank you." I whispered.  I stood up and walked slowly out of the office. I wiped the tears off of my cheeks and started going down the hall. I had decided that I was going to go for a walk in the gardens one more time. This time, without Maxon.

It was mid February, so it wasn't that warm, but it was a nice day. I walked down the paths and to the stables and the forest and around the palace. I greeted guards and thought about the crazy mess that was my life. I was sitting on a bench when Lucy came running out from the doors.

"Miss, you're going to miss the plane!" she said, frantically pulling on my arm.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It's five minutes until four o'clock! Come with me, we have to hurry!"

And so we ran. There was a car with a rather frantic looking driver standing by the door, and I got in.

"Goodbye, Lucy!" I shouted out of the window, tears starting to run down my face. "Goodbye, Maxon." I whispered to myself.

The car sped down the roads and to the airport. I quickly boarded the plane and tried to keep myself together.

Just until I get home. I thought. I slouched back in my seat, silent tears running down my face.

Why? I thought. Why did this have to happen right when things were starting to come together?

I sat on the plane for hours, thinking and thinking. Eventually, I got off of the plane, greeted by May, Mom, and Gerad.

"Ames!" May shouted. She ran into my arms, crying. "You're home!" I hugged her tightly and looked at Mom. Her face was asking me if I was ok, and I shook my head no.

We talked and got home, and I lied down in my bed. I fell asleep, slowly but eventually, and all of my worries seemed to go away. I drifted off into dreamland, where everything was perfect and nothing bad ever happened. My sleep was the only time I could escape my grief over Maxon.

I cannot believe I haven't written anything in so long! I'm really sorry, but I've been super busy with school, and I probably won't be updating as much as I did this summer. But I will finish this story, I promise. Thanks for reading and understanding!

~Em