Myers Juvenile Center

Coal's fists bobbed in out of his vision as he concentrated on the 6 foot three inches of sinewy muscle named Jorge. All he needed was for Jorge to lower his guard and give Coal an opening.

The duo were surrounded by eight other boys. The spectators, who were all varying cheered and muttered boxing instructions in low excited voices. Anything louder and it would alert the guards, and the day's entertainment would be over until the next rare occasion where the guards, for whatever reason, neglected their duty and left the group of seventeen-year-olds alone.

The residents of the Meyers juvenile detention center spent the mornings in individual study (or court); the afternoons in counseling (or in court), and in the evenings, they were allowed to playing ping pong, card games, or dominoes. The counselors had told him that is when Coal was supposed to be working on his social skills and learning more about his new country.

Besides Jorge, Coal stood at least a shoulder above the rest of his cell mates. In the fey realm with elves, his height had helped him fit in with the elves (well as much a dark-skinned human could fit in). Here, with humans, it made him stick out. And in the Meyers Juvenile Center, it had made him a target.

Strands of Jorge's black, shoulder-length hair had fallen out of its ponytail and it framed his brown eyes or light brown skin . With his head lifted confidence, he smiled in cocky confidence as if he could read the future.

The early fall sunlight streamed through open windows and the sing-song chirping of birds not yet flown south filtered through the opened window.

Jorge threw his punch. Instinctively, Coal leaned back, but Jorge had unusually long arms, even for his height, and the punch still connected with Coal's chin. His teeth rattled, and pain shot through his jaw. Coal ignored it, lifted his fists, and stared at Jorge's triumphant grin.

When he'd arrived six months ago, Coal had no idea this was a thing. His first fight, which happed three days after he'd arrived, had taken him by surprise,

In the fey realm, he'd wrestled, used swords, bows and arrows, and occasionally, an ax. But boxing was a new. He had no idea how to form a fist, much less throw a punch. He'd left his first fight with two black eyes, a loose tooth, and a reprimand for not telling the guards who had beat him. Coal did not know much about the human realm, but he did know snitches never got very far.

In the fey realm, he'd been teased and bullied for being a human, but he always knew his elven best friend Princess Chalcedony would protect him. That is, until he betrayed her to save a human child Chalcedony had taken from the human realm. Now he was in jail, being punished for a crime he was dumb enough to let Chalcedony commit.

For his second fight, he was more prepared. He remembered his sword lessons with his mentor Grigory. He made sure his feet were planted on the ground. He kept his eye on his opponent trying to guess the person next move by the way he stood, the direction of his feet, and where he looked. Just like the hands in a swordfight, fists were liars. An inexperienced swordsman, always looked before they struck. His used to hands in a tight fist, pretending it was a sword, a weapon.

The other person moved forward, instead of the to the side. advanced Coal dodged the opponent and jabbed and hit the gut in the head quicker than he could react.

He got in two good hits to the David's head, but Coal's hadn't thought of protecting anything but his head. He went down with two hits to his belly and groin. And then stopped and went out when the boy connected with the side of his head.

The first blow was weak. Barely phasing his opponent. He was too far away. He needed to get in closer. His arms were not as long as a sword. He stepped closer and met the guys eyes. they were full of confidence, hubris, pride. He knew beyond a doubt he'd win. He lips thick and cured at the corners. "You're gonna have to do better than that to take me out."

He was taller and stronger. He couldn't win against a more powerful elf. But these were his people. He could do this. He stepped closer and hit him on the side of the before he used his left hand to jab his jaw.

The impact of his knuckles against the thin flesh of his cheek before hitting bone, sent a panful jolt through Coal's hand. He ignored the sharp pain and stepped back, just as Jorge's fist came sped by.

The crowd of students, quiet so not to alert the guards, but he heard the ooh, was and the unexpected anyway.

The opponent's eyes were wide with shock and fear. His eyes darted to the crowd as if he looking for an escape. As if he'd suddenly changed his mind and wanted leave.

Man, look who grew some balls all of a sudden.

He struck before he could finish. Get this over before the guards came. The best fights with no repercussions were over before the guards came. Knock him out. From a fight a few weeks ago. The guy came over hit him I the side of the head. Coal did that. And the guy was out. Fell to the floor with a thud.

Heart pounding, breathing rapidly excitement and joy heaving Coal's chest. He finally noticed the cheering from the sides had stopped. except the chirping of the birds It was suddenly deathly quiet. Coal swallowed the dread in his throat and looked away from Jorge and towards the door. A guard stood near the entrance, head cocked it to the side, and his arms crossed across his chest.

I need to clean up the fight... but its deadline.