Recovery

A/N: I know, I know... I took forever to update. I'm so sorry for that. I've been really busy lately. And of course, any time I had to work on this, writer's block came. So annoying. At least it's up now. Right? :) Anyways, I hope you like it. If you do, please let me know in the comments. :)

**********

Many weeks of Johnny, Joanne, and even his kids telling him stories of the past came and left. Roy had been piecing together what everyone had been telling him. Some things he remembered, but everything was still all distant. He would occasionally forget many of the memories that were told to him. Though everyone was patient with him, Roy got frustrated easily with himself.

"How hard is it for me just to remember my experiences? I don't even really know who I am! I'm just being told everything!" He had yelled at the dinner table once. Joanne took Roy aside to the kitchen to talk. The kids watched from afar, while their parents attempted to figure things out.

Chris shoved the rice and chicken around his plate with his fork. The effects of one earthquake had been tearing their family apart. Chris had one question... One wish.

Would their family ever be normal again?

**********

One morning about a couple months after the accident, Roy was going through piles of notes from his life before the accident and old pictures his friends and family gave them.

Suddenly, Roy noticed a picture, distantly familiar. The back read "Family reunion, 1974". He was standing in the midst of a group of people. He recognized a few people as family. They had told him memories from when he was the oldest kid in the family to his wedding.

All of the pieces of the big puzzle of Roy's life slowly put itself together. Memories connected to real life instead of just a story he had from a third person point of view. Roy slowly started to recoginize more people and along with that came memories.

The picture from the family reunion captured a snapshot in time. And that picture was more than a picture now. It was a real moment in life. It was a memory.

Roy yelled, "Joanne! Come here, quickly."

Joanne raced in the room, her face showing worry. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all! I can remember!"

"What!?"

"That's right! I can't believe it! I can remember everything! My whole life before the accident!" Roy yelled. Joanne wrapped her arms around her with tears of pure happiness running down her cheeks.

The kids ran to the door, wondering what all the noise was. They saw their mom and dad hugging and smiling. Roy saw them and motioned them to hug too. A smile lit up on each of the kids, as they realized what had happened.

Each one leaped on their parents, like a victorious sports team. They laughed and cried in happiness. They cheered.

Roy had felt like an outsider from his friends, family, and even his own life since the accident. But now that he'd remember everything he felt like an old long-lost brother or son was welcomed back into the family. Not only into his own family but also at the station.

That same day he drove to the station, anxious to tell everyone the news. He made sure that everyone was listening before he told the wonderful news.

"What!? Are you kidding me?" Johnny was obviously shocked.

"Nope, it's all true." Everyone smiled and joined in a group hug around Roy.

"Well, that's great news, Roy!" Captian exclaimed while everyone nodded in agreement.

They talked for awhile longer, still in shock that this all had happened. It didn't seem real, almost like a dream.

"How about we celebrate? Marco's cooking. You can join us," Captian Stanley invited.

"Sure," Roy accepted the offer. He was happy to be back home at the station. While having the long-term memory loss, he'd forgotten how close-knit everyone was... how much this fire station was like home.