"We don't know. Maybe she wasn't wearing her seatbelt?"

Yes I was, I wanted to say. But instead I fell asleep.

I was standing in a meadow. The grass was green, the sky was blue, the clouds were white. Everything was perfect.

Expect for me.

My clothes were ripped and bloody, my hair matted with the sticky red substance. I spotted a woman standing a little ways in front of me, her back to me. I recognized that long, curly blonde hair. That tall and willowy figure.

"Mom?" I asked.

The woman turned around and smiled at me. I ran forward, and wrapped her in a hug. I inhaled her familiar scent, lavender and vanilla.

"Mom? What are you doing here? Am I dead?" I asked her.

"You're not dead Grace. This is just a dream." Mom said.

"Oh."

"So you're not real?" I asked, almost disappointed.

"No, I'm not. But it feels real. Isn't that all that really matters?"

The sky began to fade to gray, the clouds disappeared.

"You're waking up. Before you go, remember this: he's still here." Mom told me, her voice urgent.

Her finger tips began to turn to ash, floating to the ground.

"Who's still here? Mom, what does that mean?" I asked frantically, grabbing onto her arm only to have to crumble at my touch.

She smiled.

"I love you Grace."

I woke up with a gasp, my hands flying to my face. Something was on my face. I frantically grabbed onto it, trying to pull it off.

"Grace, Grace calm down. It's alright." Will's voice said.

I looked over to see Will at my side, grabbing my hands and taking them away from my face. He held my hands in his, his voice full of relief. I wanted to speak, but I still had the oxygen mask on my face. Something scratchy was on my leg, but a blanket was covering it. There was a brace around my forearm.

"I'm so glad you're awake." He admitted.

I nodded as if to say me too.

"I should call the nurse." He said.

He brought my hands up to my mouth and kissed them, before standing up and pressing a button on a remote that was next to my bed. He sat back down in his chair, intertwining our hands once again.

A nurse then came through the door, gave one look at me, and said before leaving,

"I'll go get Doctor Daniel."

My breathing increased and the heart monitors beeping increased, I looked frantically at Will, my head swirling.

Now you won't be able to talk until I cut out your tongue.