Chapter One

Valerie checked her watch. It was the end of her shift. She wiped down the counter once more then took off her apron. She hated working at Burger King. Barely any pay; long shifts; not many customers, which made her paycheck less.

"I'm going to McDonalds," she sighed to the guy taking over her shift. He raised his eyebrows, and the manager, who was walking past, stopped short. He pointed a chubby finger at her. "Fired."

Valerie couldn't believe it. She stared at him, then at Dave, who was the one taking over her shift. Then she stared back at the manager.

"Nice knowing you," Dave said, shaking her hand, "Kendra Valerie." Valerie shook her head sadly and walked out the door with her belongings. It was awful.

***

You see, two years before, America had been in its prime. Really in its prime. It had been gloriously peaceful and rich and beautiful for twenty long years. Not only was America like this; everyone else was, too.

There had been no wars. No one was starving in the streets, anywhere. There were no rich people because there were no poor. The stock market was perfect, sales were perfect, businesses were perfect. In general, everything, all over the world was perfect. Global warming had stopped; endangered animals were no longer endangered; extinct animals were no longer extinct (except for the dinosaurs); there was no pollution, contamination, crime, or illness; the ice started forming again. Rainforests regrew; fire rate went down.

Then it happened. No one knew, or knows, how it happened. It just did. The stock market fell sales fell, businesses fell. Everything, all over the world, was ruined. Desolate. Dead.

Kendra Valerie had been dealing with this for two years. It was hard. She lived in a two-room apartment, at the top of a tall apartment building; her car broke down twice a day; and she had barely enough money to feed herself, let alone pay the bills and pay for gas.

***

"We need new recruits," Bill said.

"Yes boss," replied his general, a brawny man named John.

"No women, remember?"

"Yes boss."

"We need about ten."

"Yes boss."

"And they need to at least have a bit of experience in shooting a gun, wrestling, boxing, sword-fighting, or karate, got that?"

"Yes boss."

"Don't make it obvious what you want."

"Yes boss."

Bill eyed John. "No women, John. Don't go recruiting no women, got that? No woman is gonna join THIS little army, no matter HOW hot they are!"

John blushed. "Yes boss, I know boss."

"Good. Hurry."

"Yes boss." John saluted Bill and walked out of the room, fingering the gun in its holster.

A/N

How do you like it so far? Do you know where it's going? Please comment what you think of the story, and I would also like title suggestions. Disaster is a temporary title.

Please FAN/VOTE/COMMENT