Five: Every Girl Loves Neck Biting...Right?

Start from the beginning

"Ed..." I warn.

"Right, anyways, I did some looking myself and saw that on her arm here..." He shows me her half eaten arm. "...that's possibly a defense wound. Or a wound caused by one of the lions."

"That wound isn't deep enough to be a lion."

"My point exactly so I was thinking, how did Miss Jones wind up in the lions cage? My theory is that someone had attacked her and while Miss Jones had fought, the attacker got a good grip on her and scratched her."

"Please tell me the attacker left some clues."

"Sadly, no, if there were any traces of DNA on her the lions basically licked it away. Speaking of licking did you know that a lions tongue feels similar to sandpap-"

"Ed, I gotta go." He smiles and goes back to working on the Jones girl.

"Nygma! Get out!" The regular coroner came in and that was my cue to leave.

As I walk to my desk, my girlfriend Leslie Thompkins, walks up to me with a file, probably on the Lila Valeska case no doubt.

"Jim-"

"Please, Lee. Not now. I'm spreading myself as thin as I can with these cases."

"But this is important, we need to do a follow up on Jerome Valeska and on the other two parties involved in the case." I pinch the bridge of my nose and look at her.

"All right, get him in here."

Hours later Jerome was sitting in one of the rooms while his girlfriend sat in the lobby with a...

"Is that a pet Lizard on a leash?"

"It's a lizard dragon, harmless unless she bites you. Wanna pet her?"

"No, no, that's fine. I won't be long with Jerome." I walk into the room where Jerome was waiting and close the door behind me.

"I apologize for this, but I want to add a few more things to your mothers case. Now tell me about your mother, Jerome." He nods as I see the sad look in his eyes.

"She's my mother. What can I say? I love her. She's perfect. Not a very good cook. Heh. Except for that.." I give a polite smile at that comment.

"Did she have any enemies? Someone with a grudge?"

"No, detective. My mother didn't have any bad blood with anyone."

"What about her boyfriends?"

"No."

"No?"

He swallows hard and looks up at me. "She had lovers. Sex partners, really. But not boyfriends. She didn't want the commitment."

"What about Alphonse Grayson?"

"Yes, he was one of them." He replied. "Owen Lloyd?" I ask. "Yes."

"Any others?"

He shrugs. "Not that I could put a name to."

"What about Quinnie?"

"What about her?" I hear a defensive tone in his voice and I know that she's a touchy subject.

"Did she like your mother? I know girlfriends and mothers don't really get along." I give a nervous chuckles.

"Quinnie and I only started dating recently. She's more in helping me with the loss of my mother. And quite frankly if my mother was alive to meet Quinnie, she would adore her."

I nod hearing his answer. "Well, how did you feel about your mothers love life?"

"I feel fine about it. If not for my mother's love life I wouldn't be here, would I? Sex is a healthy, human activity."