Ten Seconds Glimpses

[He kneeled, eyes stained with tears, he whispered softly, "I'm sorry."]

"Tyne, Are you alright?" Deina's voice brought me back. Deina's my officemate and a friend-one of the few. I blinked as I sucked in my breath. I wasn't aware I was holding it at all. I immediately glanced at my watch and counted the seconds that passed, it was approximately ten seconds as expected. "Tyne?"

I looked at Deina and smiled. "I-it's nothing. I was just thinking about my proposal." I lied. I could lie with anyone with a straight face. I could make up stories and excuses, and you'll never suspect I wasn't telling the truth. It was a defense I harnessed growing up. It wasn't easy. It wasn't fun, if anything, I hate myself for it, but it was a necessity.

A girl, who suddenly spaced out for ten seconds, be it in the middle of a meeting, in an interview, or even in a conversation should always have an excuse ready. I don't want people to think that there's something wrong with me even if there was. For as long as I could remember, I always have this out-of-present experience; meaning I could glimpse into the future for approximately ten seconds. It was spontaneous, something out of my control. It wasn't fun, I must point that out. I see a vision and it's always the same damn things: love, heartbreaks, betrayal, pain and sorrow, death. And to think that people are excited about their future, when in fact there was nothing to look forward to.

It's hard to look at people knowing a part of their lives where they'll be miserable; to see them in their most vulnerable state. It's distracting to talk to them and see them normally when in fact you knew they are going through some horrible state in their lives.

I wasn't interested in the future anymore; I see a vision and ignore it. But that man, I don't know him but he's a constant character in my future travels. I haven't met him yet, but I know he's the man I'll share my every treasured moment with. I have glimpsed our happiest moments with every ten seconds I spent in the future; the kisses, the shared hugs, the laughter and dates, the quiet time. It was so amazing that I can't wait to experience it all with him. The hope I have long lost started to build-up again, though the fear grew as well.

"Let's go back. They're probably looking for us," Deina stood from her seat, sipping the last drop of her juice before she walked to the door.

I followed her, but I guess I was still out of myself since I didn't notice the man walking toward me. It was too late, the next thing I knew there was a stinging pain in my head as it impacted on the sudden opening of the door. I grunted as I fell back on the floor.

"Dammit!" I cursed.

"Oh God, I'm sorry I didn't see you," apologized by the man bending toward me, his hand stretched, offering his help.

I looked up, and I felt I was sucked into another dimension. Suddenly everything around me blurred, and then it cleared.

[I looked around and saw a crowd of people looking at me with their pitiful and apologetic eyes. I can't explain it but I felt an overwhelming pain in my chest, it felt like it's going to explode. I turned to look at the priest in front of me, his eyes conveying the message I didn't want to hear. I touched my cheeks and felt the tears that confirmed my fear -I was left behind. Gathering my white gown in my hands, I run from the church, run away from everyone's view.]

"Miss? Miss, are you alright. Shit! Are you hurt?" I gasped as I felt myself being shaken. Getting out of the trance, I looked at the face of the man I was waiting for it that future.

Without a second to spare I stood up, "I-I'm fine. Sorry I have to go." I said and walk out of there, never even bothering to see if Deina's behind me.

The vision, it was horrible. The same things again: sorrow and heartbreak, as if the world didn't have enough of it. I could see my hope and expectations falling to pieces. How many relationships have I foregone now, meetings that I have avoided? Countless, I guess.