Chapter 4

(A/N: I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while! School's been really hectic for me, so I don't know when I'll get some more chapters up. That being said, I just joined a writing club on campus, so hopefully they can help me with ideas, plotlines and such. Anyway, here's the next chapter. Enjoy!)

~Brutus's POV~

Everything is going smoothly. I took down the guards that denied me access to the hall containing Lex's pet. Soon, I'll have my revenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stand in front of Kazuko's cage, and start gloating. But the damn girl just ignores me, content to scribble on her little drawing book in front of her.

'I'll show her... I'll show them all! Then they won't dare to mess with me!'

Without a second thought, I draw my gun and fire. To my surprise, the glass in between Kazuko and I shatters as soon as the bullets connect.

'Oh, this is perfect!' I mentally cry with glee.

But I remain focused, and keep firing at the small girl before me. To my annoyance and fury, she manages to dodge the rounds, most of them whistling by her ears. I try pulling the trigger again, only to hear an empty clicking sound.

"Damnnit! Gotta reload." I growl, and start backing away while trying to stuff a magazine full of bullets into the bottom of my handgun.

As I'm trying to do this, something catches my attention, and I look up, just in time to meet Kazuko's gaze as she leaps towards me. I let out another muffled curse, and drop to the side, narrowly avoiding a knee to the face.

I lunge forward as soon as she lands, and slam my fist into her face. She slides backwards from the force behind it, and I grin from the euphoric feeling rising inside of me when I see blood dribbling down the side of her mouth.

I lunge towards her again, and try a roundhouse kick on her. But to my surprise, she catches my leg, almost as if she was expecting it. Before I can get free, she hauls on my leg and throws me into a pile of equipment.

I hiss in anger as I stagger to my feet, and glare at the slight form before me.

"Alright, that's it!" I snarl. "I'm taking you down!"

I grab my hidden knife from it's hidden position, but I keep my hand behind my back. THe last time I went after her with a knife, I drew it out right away, and she just kicked it out of my hand. Now I know to keep my aces hidden as long as I can, so she has little to no time to react.

We both run at each other, and at the last second, I whip out my knife and slash at her. However, she nimbly leaps to the side, and grabs my outstretched arm, and throws me to the ground. I gasp for air, and try to scrabble for the knife which fell out of my hand when I hit the ground.

I'm thwarted from my efforts when Kazuko suddenly tackles me, and somehow pins me on my stomach, my arm right behind my back while she straddles me.

"Surrender." She hisses. "If you do that, I'm sure you'll be let off with a less harsh punishment."

"Heh." I sneakily reach into my pocket with my free hand, and withdraw my trump card. I point it right at her side after priming it. A few seconds later, a bolt of pinkish light blasts into Kazuko, making her scream and fall off me.

I clamber to my feet, panting. "You really think that I wouldn't be better armed that last time?" I sneer, holding my new plasma gun.

She just growls and bares her teeth at me, and I laugh. I set the gun again, and cock it when it's primed.