Elise turned her head and waited for whatever the Johnsons could throw at her. She already knew most of their questions, the important ones, were answered- the answers were in her file. Yes, she was in good physical and mental health. No, she didn't smoke or abuse alcohol. No, she didn't have a criminal record. Yes, she was a fully qualified, licensed Pre. Yes, she worked well with children. That last one was a slight lie, but she hid it well.

Frida rubbed her swollen belly and smiled at Elise. "In your file it said you were a Were? It specified you to be a wolf shifter, correct?" Elise nodded, so Frida went on, grabbing her husbands hand and squeezing it. "This may sound ignorant, but we've never hired a Were as a Host before, of any kind, so we were just wondering about your temperament."

Elise lowered her head, her chin resting against her chest. "My temperament? You're wondering if I'm a vicious dog, is that right?"

Both Frida and Pat turned a bright shade of red. Pat sat up straighter in his seat and cleared his throat. "No, no. Don't get us wrong. It's just... your eyes."

Elise blinked and remained silent. She knew exactly what the Johnsons were worried about. Her irises were pitch black. Some people often said that Elise's eyes seemed to absorb the light around her and completely demolish it. Elise thought those people were exaggerating, though she did know her eyes were darker than anyone elses. The lack of brightness indicated her power, and most associated that power with villainy. She could understand the Johnsons and their trepidation, though by their hesitance to ask a proper question, she assumed they learned about the link between eyes and power in Weres from the internet.

"I am not evil," Elise pointed out. "I am powerful. There's a difference. And I have a question for you. May I?" When both Pat and Frida agreed to answer, Elise leaned forward slightly in her chair. "If you've never had a Were as a Host, why are you looking for one now?"

Pat placed a protective hand over Frida's belly but his eyes remained on Elise. "We heard Weres are protective, naturally, unlike other preternaturals. We wanted someone like that to protect our baby."

Elise leaned forward a little more, resting her elbows on her knees, and gave a toothy smile. "We are very protective. But only with those that we actually like. A rugrat is definitely not anywhere on my list."

Frida made a face, absolutely offended by Elise's words. Pat lifted his chin and ground his teeth. He grabbed his wife's hand and practically jerked her out of her chair. "How dare you!" He turned to Jeff and nodded politely. "I'm sorry but we will be looking for a different Host. Good day." He stomped out of the room with his wife just behind him.

Elise blew a raspberry and relaxed in her chair, shrugging at Jeff. "Well. You can't win 'em all. Maybe next time."

Jeff sighed, irritated, and reached under his glasses to rub his eyes. "Damnit, Elise. Could you at least try to pretend you want to be a Host? Upper management is going to notice that you have yet to be hired and they are going to start asking questions. They'll strip you of your license and declare you incompetent, probably put you in a home with crazed Pre's and let you rot."

Groaning, Elise let her arms fall beside her chair. "This is stupid."

"Yes, I'm aware you think that. But this is the law and you need to learn to respect it, or at least follow it so you don't end up an outlaw."

"Maybe an outlaw is better than this. I don't want to be a Host, Jeff. I want to live my life the way I always have."

"Yeah, well, things don't work like that anymore." Jeff opened one of his desks drawers and pulled out a manila file folder. He opened it up and grabbed for one of the pens on his desk. "I'm going to schedule another appointment. There are a few other people right now looking for a Were. Oh, look. This one is even looking for a female specifically. I'll set it up for next week."