Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

He catches me staring at him and raises his eyebrows. Revealing his uncombed, blonde waves of hair, he withdraws the blue beanie that matches the colour of his eyes from his head. He cocks his head to one side, studying me, and looks somewhat amused, but it’s hard to tell.  “What are you thinking about?” he questions, turning to face me in the confined car, “You like you want to rip someone’s head off,” he smirks. Oh, if only you knew.

I flush and glance down, “Nothing,” I lie, breaking our gaze as I turn away and look outside of the window.

He draws closer to me and he nuzzles his nose into my neck; brushing his soft, unruly hair against my jaw line, leading the ghost of a smile to linger onto my lips. “Please, don’t over think things,” he murmurs into my neck, the warmth of his breath tingling against my skin and leading a shiver to run through my spine, “She means nothing to me,” he then adds before pressing a gentle kiss against it and returning to his upright position.

Maybe he’s right, maybe I do need to stop other thinking everything. I’ve always had a bad habit of making out that situations are worse than they are in my head. I guess sometimes you can’t help but feel insecure. You can’t help but fear that he’ll leave you for someone else or someone better, or in my eyes, Rosie. I stare down at my knotted fingers, trying to remove the doubtful thoughts that are spiralling throughout my head as I lean my head against the window.

My thoughts are disrupted by the violent vibration of my cell phone in my purse. The taxi driver glances at me through his rear view mirror as I rummage through my oversized bag that contains everything from my Victoria Secret lip balm to a three hundred paged book for first time moms. Damion lets out a laugh as I remove the contents from within my bag, shaking his head as he smiles at me.

“Hello?” I answer after the fifth ring, sounding rather breathless from the treasure hunt within my bag.

“Kayla,” my mother’s sounds, her voice soft and comforting.

My muscles relax as I lean back into the chair, the sound of her voice leading unexpected tears to form in my eyes. “I’ve missed you,” I whisper.

She pauses, “Kayla, is everything okay?”

“Yes,” I smile, a lump forming in the back of my throat as I speak softly, “It’s just good to hear your voice.”

“Well, I’ve missed you too,” she says. After a brief silence, she asks, “So how are you?”

“Well, apart from this aching backache that I’ve been feeling for the past few days,” I explain, massaging the side of my lower back, “I’m great.”

“Well, you’re six months pregnant, he’s getting much heavier now,” she explains, “Maybe you should go to a spa and get a massage,” she suggests, “There’s the cutest little spa not a long distance away that I could book you in for, or you could always get Damion to give you a rub.”

My cheeks flush red at the suggestion. I imagine Damion rubbing me in more ways than one, and I quickly vanish the sexual thought from out of my head as if my mother can read my mind. “I’ve actually just got back from Ohio,” I say, changing the topic of conversation.

“Ohio?” she asks, surprised.

“Yeah,” I smile, “We went to visit Damion’s family, and they’re wonderful.”

She’s silent for a moment, “And how are things with Damion.”

Remembering the phone call with Rosie, my face falls, “They’re okay,” I whisper.

“Are you sure,” her seriousness is palpable, “You can tell me if you don't feel safe, happy or comfortable, you name it."

I roll my eyes, “Oh mom, it’s really nothing.”

“Honey, you seem,” she pauses, trying to find the right word, “Different, as if something’s upset you.” I shrug, forgetting that she can’t see me. “Why don’t you come home, come and visit us. Sometimes a little family time is good, you may be having your own baby, but you’re still mine. I miss you and your father and sister would love to see you, too. You need a break. You can come and get some distance and maybe some perspective.”

I smile at the soft tone of her voice and I know that she cares. Maybe she’s right, maybe I should get away for a couple of days. We’ve been together every single day for the last several months and although we’ve grown so close together, and yes, I’ve fallen in love with him in that short space of time, we both need space to breathe. Besides, my mom always knows best, no matter how much I’d like to deny it.

“Okay,” I say after a long pause, “I’ll come and see you.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow?” I repeat, my voice rising, slightly surprised, “I’ve pretty much just landed.”

“Well you can come whenever you’re ready, just let me know when.”

“Okay. Well mom, I’ve got to go, I love you.”

“I love you too.”

The next ten minutes pass in silence, only the murmuring noise of the radio sounding in the car. Damion has grasped hold of my hand in the time, gently massaging his thumb into the palm of my hand as if he’s heard my mother’s suggestions.

“I’m going to stay at my parent’s for a couple of days,” I say, breaking the warm, yet uncomfortable silence.

He looks up at me like a child who’s parent has told them that it’s time to leave the fair and go home, “Why?” he questions, his eyes deepening.

“We both need time to think,” I explain, nervously gulping.

The car falls to a silence as we both look outside of the opposite windows. He then leans his head back against the head rest and lets out a sigh, “Okay,” he says. “So, when are you going?”

 I pause, thinking, “Tomorrow,” I then explain.

“Would you like me to drive you there?”

“If you don't mind” I softly smile, raising my eyebrows as I glance down at my sore, swollen feet that look like they’re about to burst out of my silver sandals. He then takes hold of my hand and tightly squeezes it. He then lets go of the tight squeeze, but his hand still locked tightly within mine.