The Beginning

There will be some sibling time with Steve and a few flashbacks from the past in this chapter. This is a very long original chapter, but this is because this will be the only one before the movie is written in.

I re-read my prologue and a thought came to me – that is probably the best prologue I've ever written honestly. I'm so proud of myself every time I read it [and I can't seem to stop reading it], it's amazing..haha.. Anyway, enough about me ... here we are with the official first chapter...

Avengers: The Age of Ultron | Saviours | The Beginning

Many months had gone by yet so much has happened. Bucky and Steve were able to finally find Ava, or Winter as she wanted to be called. Neither of them, including Winter, knew how to act around each other – she was the splitting image of someone they had thought died 75 years ago, it hurt to see her and know their true Ava was still not back in their lives.

Winter had gone through many changes since that day at the Smithsonian museum, she had immediately traveled to find answers after the first breakthrough with her memories. But every time she found a new trail with hydra, she came up with a dead end. It didn't help either when every day she kept getting new memories stuffed into her brain from the past life. At this point in time; she was neither the Winter Soldier nor Avery Rogers 'Ava'. She was someone different - someone she couldn't even really explain to herself. She had the memories of her current persona, The Winter Soldier. But there were also the remnants of Avery Roger's life pushing into her – this other person's life was making her feel things she never remembers feeling or thinking.

Unable to ask or accept help, which was something she as a well-trained soldier would never do – she allowed the two American heroes a chance a finding her, to see if they were true to her newly found memories as being loyal and loving towards this Avery Rogers.

And they came and answered.

Winter had stood upon the old, abandoned railway tracks of the place Avery Rogers had been taken away from the world. There was meaning to this; as she waited for their arrival. She started to fully remember what happened to her ... to Avery. She would never speak the words out loud, but she needed help and those two seemed to be the only ones who could. She remembered more quickly in their presence last time – maybe it will this time too? Inside she knew being alone wasn't a good idea anyway, and she was starting to get that.

There must be side effects to the machine that deleted her memories, because ever since that last wipe, memories that were slowly coming back and they were starting to hurt. They were painful, sometimes excruciating. At one point, she actually felt scared. And this something entirely new for Winter; she was taught and trained to NEVER feel emotions, and many had come up during the past couple of months, but never ... fear. At soon as that emotion touched, every fear Avery Rogers had before her elimination came rushing back in the form of a heartache. It was like she had finally longed to see the two American heroes to make her feel better, and this was something she hated herself for feeling.

And now, she stood in a small glass-windowed room, looking out to the city of New York. A 'Tony Stark' had been kind enough to offer her a place in his tower, her room (with a bathroom of her own) was in between the two American hero's rooms. They had obviously been too busy to look for a place of their own during the time she was being tracked down – but she couldn't help but feel safe within these walls, this was yet another thing that had started to slip into her in the form of a feeling.

Her hair was naturally straightened, a gloss from her darkened hair shining against the warming sun. Her skin was a little more tanned than last time after her travelling mission, small black bags under her eyes were starting to show – she really wasn't getting enough sleep these days. Nightmares kept her awake. Her style of clothing hadn't changed much; she wore black skinny pants pretty much all the time, they were the only things that felt comfortable (and they were the only things she had actually tried on lately), she had on a pair of combat boots, a cream looking sweater with a white tank top underneath. This was literally all she would wear day to day now unless a mission had come up. The sweater was to keep people from looking at the metal arm attached to her body, she didn't like people staring.