Chapter 4: Roses

One year later...

They awoke, got dressed, ate breakfast, and continued on with their duties just like any other ordinary day, only it wasn't just an ordinary day. They both knew it. The memory lingered in the forbidden corner of their brains, not wanting to be touched, just ignored, but it couldn't. No one mentioned it for the longest time, at least not until late that afternoon.

Susan pulled her shawl tight around her shoulders and braced herself against the chilling wind. It was out back, tucked into one of the corners of her garden. She closed the gate behind her and made her way slowly through the rows of wilted flowers and bare bushes. Just weeks ago the garden had been alive with warmth and color, but the chilly autumn air had quickly invaded and blew away the beauty of the place.

She swallowed hard as she reached the rock, and knelt to the ground in front of it. Despite the cold she drew her hand out from where it had been tucked in the crook of her arm to keep warm, and ran her fingers over the engraved letters.

Unknown Prince or Princess of Narnia
Child of King Caspian X and Queen Susan
September 29th, 2314

September 29th, one year ago that day.

It wasn't a gravestone, for how could you bury a child which had never been born? It was a memorial, rather, commemorating a loss so deep it only seemed right to give some sort of tribute to.

It was nestled in among two rose bushes. Roses were beautiful things, but you have to be careful. For if you take their beauty too much for granted you may forget that they have thorns, and you'll end up pricking yourself.

Susan let her fingers rest on the word unknown. It hurt her so, not even being able to know the gender of her own child. Without warning she began to weep. She covered her face with her hands and let her hair fall over her shoulders. As if on cue the clouds opened up and let out a small collection of raindrops.

A strong hand felt it's way up Susan's arm. He pulled her to his chest and wrapped his cloak around her to shelter her from the rain. The drops were coming bigger and quicker now.

"C'mon." Caspian said to her. "Let's go inside." He pulled her up and, keeping close together, they walked steadily back towards the gate. Susan grabbed one last look over her shoulder.

~

"I thought I had cried it all out a year ago." Susan said shaking her head. They had made it inside before the rain had really started to pour. She was curled under a blanket before a fire in the parlor. Caspian handed her a cup of steaming tea. She sipped it slowly then set it back on the short table in front of the sofa. Caspian sank down next to her. "It's been a year; I should be stronger than this." Her voice cracked. She swallowed hard and closed her eyes.

Caspian leaned forward and, taking her head in his hands, kissed her forehead. "No one expects you to be."