Starting Your Book Of Shadows

Start by deciding what kind of book you want to use. A spiral notebook is one favorite method. A three hole binder is another, making it easy to maintain sections for organization. Some people purchase hard cover stationary books at their local book store, making various volumes or collections of magikal information.

Which ever you choose, label the book and set it's purpose and energy from the start. You can record the title on the outside or on the page inside the cover. But it's the first thing you should do. After the title, date the book. Some witches create a new book at the beginning of each magikal year during Samhain. While others use the same book over a period of time until it's full and then they start a new volume. It's up to you which way to date your book, but you should enter a date and if possible a volume reference. This will help keep your books organized over the years.

Next, take some time and think of a personal blessing to record on the first page (or after the title page). The book blessing is done as a dedication to your spiritual growth, you path of learning and protection for the information you'll gain and record within the covers of your book. You might write out the blessing on scrap paper until you get just right and then transfer the blessing to your Book of Shadows.

If you find that the book you've chosen loses it's appeal, or isn't adequate for your needs, don't hesitate in finding a new one. You must feel comfortable and well, attached to your book. This gives the book energy and meaning within your spiritual life. Another example of setting it's intent and importance in your life.