Chapter 13

Armin's POV

Silence.

We were both struck so hard by the truth that neither of us had a response. I felt so shocked, so miserable that even though this is the truth, I had to except it.

And I think that's the most scariest part of all.

After what seemed like a long time, Connie finally spoke up, even though he looked uneasy to do so.

"Say, A-Armin..."

I gulped.

"Y-yes, what is it?"

He shuts his eyes. A second later, I saw his eyes pop open, as a new set of fear took place.

"S-so are you saying they want us to do a suicide mission...?"

I don't answer.

He looks up to me, his eyes filling with anger.

"Are you? Do you really think that they would want us to be in their...plans, just so they can use us as backup? Huh?! Is that what you're saying?!"

Everyone in the kitchen turns their attention to us.

I have to do something..

I place my hands on Connie's shoulders.

"Oh, Connie," I sighed, "what kind of soldiers would we be if we can't make sacrifices?"

I feel Connie's shoulders tense up.

"They expect us to dedicate our hearts for the people, but they expect us to give away our life too? That's...that's-"

"Exactly why we became soldiers."

Connie looks up at me, dumbfounded.

I pat him on the back.

"And don't you forget that."

*****

"Have you guys seen Eren?"

Reiner and Bertholdt shake their heads.

"Haven't seen him since you and Annie were doin' the nasty."

I feel heat rise up in my face.

"We weren't doing anything like that! How many times do I have to tell you that?!"

Reiner laughs out loud.

"Why are you so embarrassed? That's a good thing!"

Bertholdt's expression darkens.

Reiner's laugh slowly dies down as he see Bertholdt stand up and start to walk away.

"Aye, Bertholdt! Where ya goi-"

The door slams behind him as silence fills the room. Reiner looks back to me.

"What's his problem?"