10) The Truth Behind the Mask

You have to do this...stop acting like a baby! This is pathetic! Maddie cursed herself inside her mind, glaring at the wide, door that looked like it cost more than her house.

She couldn't believe this! It's been ten minutes since her mother dropped her off, and she was still staring at the Cosculluela's door as if it would grow fangs and bite her.

This was truly pathetic.

Maddie let out another breath, swallowing down her apprehensive thoughts and rang the doorbell, which echoed a chiming melody all throughout the house. It was only a few seconds before the door opened, and Maddie frowned.

It was Gino's older brother.

Matt smirked at her, "Back for another 'tutoring session,' it seems."

Maddie glared at him, "It's not like that. I don't like Gino."

Matt snorted, opening his mouth, probably to say something snarky, before shutting it and just stared at Maddie. Feeling uncomfortable under his scrutinizing gaze, Maddie crossed her arms over her chest, chewing on her bottom lip.

"You know, you seem like a good person...nice, naïve, innocent." He finally spoke up again.

Innocent? Maddie raised an eyebrow, "Uh...what?"

He shrugged, "I guess it's only fair to warn you; Gino's not the relationship type. He'll screw you, then forget you ever exist and moves on to the next one."

Maddie's mouth fell open. She could not believe Matt was saying something like this! "I don't l-"

"You may not like him now, but clearly you'll begin to develop feelings sooner or later. My brother's a ladies man, after all. I'm just warning you now, so you won't get hurt when he doesn't feel the same way."

Before Maddie could respond, Matt opened the door a little wider and walked away.

Maddie stood there in the doorway for another minute, looking as dumbfounded as a deer in headlights. Her brain replayed the brief, but odd conversation she had with Matt, and couldn't help the pang of hurt that swelled into her chest.

Even if she couldn't explain it, it was still there and it was starting to drive her insane. Ignoring the sting of Matt's words, Maddie marched up the stairs to Gino's room, knocking hesitantly on the door.

There was a groggy groan from behind the door, behind it swung open and a sleepy looking Gino stood there, rubbing his eyes slightly. His dark brown hair was tossed as he ran his fingers through it. And when Maddie noticed he wasn't wearing a shirt and his six-pack was on display, she couldn't help the blush that came to her cheeks, turning her face red as a tomato.

He wasn't wearing a freaking shirt! Really?! Maddie screamed inside her head.

His eyes seemed to widen as realization dawned in on him, "Peanuts? What are you doing here?"

And back with the nickname. "We have a tutoring session today." Maddie stated flatly, before rolling her eyes, "I shouldn't be surprised that your tiny brain couldn't remember that between screwing girls and hanging out with other rich idiots." Her voice was extra venomous today.

He just stared at her for a few moments, as if shocked she'd say something like that, before narrowing his brown eyes, "Gee, that's the thanks I get for standing up to Kalani for you huh? Well, now I'll note not to do that anymore, apparently it pisses you off. But then again, everything I do pisses you off."

Maddie just rolled her eyes, "Just shut up and put on a shirt."

Gino's eyes glittered with devious intentions,"Nah, I think I'll keep my shirt off."