Chapter 2

I saw them working out the yard, their outfits flying out. I smiled, but then got sad. I really did love Tomoe.
  I decided to join them outside, since I was the Land God. I walked out there, smiling. Mizuki saw me first, and dropped his rake.
   "Lady Nanami, we were cleaning the yard, care to join?" He sounded excited, but maybe that was just me.
"Tch." Tomoe said, and I felt my smile fall. Why was he so bitter all of the time? I guess he saw me, because he smiled calmly, before saying, "Nanami. What would you like for dinner? I was thinking snake and mushrooms."
  I groaned, why did he do this?
"I'm kidding, Nanami. As your familiar, I wouldn't ever harm you or displease you.", he said, making me blush.
  "Thanks Tomoe."
  "Of course."
Why did our conversations go like this, I thought as I began weeding the garden beside my familiars. We were so close, but he was so far. I loved him so much, and yet, I felt as if I didn't know him. I remember seeing his old lover so long ago, and feeling so jealous, but I still helped her. And it didn't work. I remember Giro confessing his love to me, and I rejected him for Tomoe, who didn't make a move.
  I felt my heart plummet as it always did whenever I thought of what could be, how happy we could be. I sighed, causing my two companions to look at me oddly, so I played it off.
  "Sorry, I was thinking about- uh-", I stammered, my face turning bright red.
   I got two looks of confusion, so I quickly said, "I'm going to go out for awhile!".
   "Nanami.", Tomoe said, sounding concerned.
   My heart sped up, my fingers crossed. Please, Tomoe, please.
   "Be careful".
   I felt like crying.
   "I will", I said defeatedly. I walked back into the shrine, and was meeted by my shrine spirits, and they followed me to my room, where I said,"Guys, I'm going out soon, and I have to get changed, give me a minute please."
  "But Lady Nanami, it's dangerous for you to go alone, why don't you ask Tomoe to go with you?", they exclaimed.
   Because he's the whole reason I'm going out, I wanted to say, but I held my tongue, and said this instead.
  "I just want some private time okay?"
  I bent down to their level and smiled softly.
  "It's not because of you, but I want to do some shopping okay?"
  They looked at me, and then said,"Ok! Please be careful though, Master Tomoe would be so sad if you got hurt, he's always worrying about you!"
  I blushed. Did Tomoe actually worry about me?
  "I'll be careful. I'll see you two later, and I'll bring a surprise!", I said, trying to be happy and not reveal the battle raging in my mind.
  "Thank you, Lady Nanami, you are for sure the best Land God ever!"
  "I'm not sure about that..."
  "But you are!"
  "If you insist."
  I then closed the door behind me, then I leaned on it, tears pricking and challenging me not the spill them. Stop crying, I thought, you always cry.
  I started getting changed out of my lazy clothes, putting on a pair of black skinny jeans and a blue no-sleeve blouse, before putting on my flats and tying my hair up. I grabbed my phone and my bag, before checking how much money I had: $617. Wow, we're doing pretty good. I walked out into the courtyard, keeping my head until Mizuki called me out, shouting,"Have fun Nanami!"
  I didn't say anything, I just kept me head down, reaching for my ear buds and turning on Spotify. I looked up for one second and met eyes with Tomoe, who looked at me with an array of emotions in his eyes. Sadness, regret, and there was one more I couldn't put my finger on as I walked down the pathway. I couldn't help but hope with all of my heart that it might just be love.